Wednesday, December 5, 2012

8 Questions with 2012 Olympian Jennifer Pinches

18 year old Jennifer Pinches is one of MANY talented gymnasts to come out of City of Liverpool Gymnastics in Liverpool, Great Britain. Pinches started gymnastics at the age of 6 after "seeing some clips on the telly of a gymnast swinging around, it looked like fun!" She began representing Great Britain in international competitions in 2009 and hasn't slowed down since! While training alongside some of the world's best, Pinches has made quite a name for herself competing in several National, World, and European meets...not to mention the Olympic Games. Jennifer is best known for her bubbly personality, beautiful artistry, and doing the "nerdfighter gang sign" after the Team Finals in London! (Pictures will be below!) We caught up with Jennifer to talk about her Olympic experience, most memorable moments, and life after London!

Photo Credit: Unkown
Triple Twist: What was is like competing in front of a home crowd at the Olympic Games? Did you feel any pressure?

Jennifer: It was amazing! The whole atmosphere was electric, but also terrifying. My first apparatus in the team final (competing in front of the biggest crowd!) was beam and I was SO nervous! Everyone was watching me and I was shaking. I lost all my confidence and slipped off on an easy skill. It shocked me and it was also embarrassing, but not unlike me... I admit, I often fall in competition on beam when I am nervous. Although I don't find beam difficult (I am the British National beam champion, after all!) I prefer to compete fast moving high energy pieces such as floor and vault. Fortunately I could use the frustration to spur me on for floor and vault and on those two apparatus I got personal best scores! After that, I could really enjoy the competition.


Triple Twist: What were your goals going into the games? Do you feel like you accomplished everything you set out to do?

Jennifer: I set out to do 3 things. Help the team qualify for the Team Final, therefore beating any previous team result Great Britain has achieved (in Beijing they just missed out on team final), encourage everyone else to do their best and perform some routines that I, my coaches, and my country would be proud of, and help support Beth get the Olympic medal she always dreamed of.
All three goals were successful!


Triple Twist: Do you have a favorite memory/moment from the games?

Jennifer: Finishing my floor routine in the Team Final, proving there was a reason why I deserved to be in the Olympic Games, and coming back from my beam disaster will be the things I remember the most. Finishing my floor routine is a moment that I will always cherish. It's supposed to be a serious and dramatic pose at the end but I couldn't help but beam with happiness at the judges. They even smiled back at me! It was FANTASTIC.

Triple Twist: What was the Olympic village like? Did you get to meet anyone cool?

Jennifer: YES we met so many cool people! The Olympic Village was like a virtual world someone had created, it was surreal. Everything worked efficiently and perfectly. We stayed in the Team GB block, overlooking the Olympic Park, stadium, the Orbit and much of London which was a stunning view. Outside the accommodation, (which was simple yet fairly stylish and homely by the way) the most talented athletes ever were just everywhere you looked; amongst the always-cheerful volunteers and always-helpful soldiers keeping the place feeling secure and organised. Everywhere was friendly, everywhere was clean. It was a welcoming and relaxing place. And then there was the food court with drinks and foods and available from all over the world, in unlimited quantity and at any hour. It was a village impossible to be realistic beyond the powerful few weeks of the Games. But it was great while it lasted!


Triple Twist: Did you do anything fun to celebrate after the Olympics?

Jennifer: Yeah we got invited to loads of cool places, clubs and other fun stuff! Then we went on holiday and then went to Ecuador!!!!


Triple Twist: Did you get to watch any of the other gymnasts compete? Was there a performance that stood out to you?

Jennifer: I . LOVE. ALIYA. MUSTAFINA. She is beautiful to watch. Also Viktoria Komova's floor routine is stunning. I'm a fan of the Russian gymnast's artistry. Also, Makayla Maroney's vault = amazing!!


Triple Twist: Is you could describe your teammates in 1 word, what would it be?

Jennifer: Beth- inspirational, Hannah- sassy, Becca- twiggy, Imogen- crazy

Triple Twist: What's next for you?

Jennifer: I have retired from elite gymnastics now. The only chance I'll be in Rio is if I'm commentating. As for my future, follow me on twitter! All the answers will be on there because at this moment I really don't know! We shall just have to wait and see what the future holds but when I  find out myself it will go on twitter!


Check out this BEAUTIFUL floor routine from Jennifer!



Jenn doing the "Nerdfighter gang sign"
Follow Jennifer on Twitter

Best wishes to you Jennifer, thank you for your time and beautiful gymnastics!

Interview done by: Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment