Wednesday, May 8, 2013

10 Questions with upcoming junior gymnast- Vanasia Bradley

Meet Vanasia Bradley- she's 14 years old, an 8th grader, and one of the newest junior elite gymnasts. Vanasia trains at Splitz Gymnastics in Canton, Michigan and is already proving herself to be one to watch with some of her big skills. Vanasia is eligible for the 2016 Olympics in Rio and will turn senior in 2015. We caught up with Vanasia to talk about qualifying to elite, skills she's working on in the gym, and her plans for the future.


Triple Twist: How did you get started in gymnastics?

Vanasia: My kindergarten teacher noticed me doing cartwheels and stuff during recess, so she told my parents that I would be a really good athlete and that I should try recreational gymnastics. So I did and  when I was on the team, I moved through the levels a lot faster than anyone else so my parents knew I could be really successful. 

Triple Twist: You are the first and only elite gymnast to come out of your gym, how does that make you feel?

Vanasia: It's definitely helped me gain my confidence and I was very proud of myself, but one of the most important things was that I could be a good example for the upcoming little one's who want to be elite, so they can see that hey, it really can be done. 



Triple Twist: Who are some of your role models in gymnastics? Who do you look up to?

Vanasia: In the gym I look up to Isabell Hutchins because she's been through so much bad stuff, yet she comes in the gym everyday with a positive attitude and pushes through all the obstacles that come her way. Outside of the gym I look up to Rebecca Bross. I love the way she presents herself at competitions. She never gives up and is really mentally tough. 

Triple Twist: What skills can we expect to see from you this season? Walk us through your routines.

Current routines: 

Vault- Yurchenko full

Bars- Toe up, stalder, tkachev, blind half, jaeger, toe hand, bail, stalder up, double tuck dismount

Beam- Switch ring, back handspring layout step out, full turn, front aerial-sheep jump, side aerial, switch leap-back tuck, split jump-sissone, round off- 2 1/2 twist dismount.

Floor- Double pike, round off-1 1/2 to a full twist, switch ring, strug, double full turn with leg at horizontal, double twist, 2 1/2 twist

Working on:

Vault- 2 1/2 (amanar)

Bars- Shaposh half (watch here.), inside stalder, toe full, stalder full, and full out dismount

Beam- Back handspring layout step out-layout step out and triple twist dismount

Floor- Changing first pass to double double or full in (watch here.), 2nd pass to round off 1 1/2 to double twist, 3rd pass to 2 1/2 to punch front or full twist, 4th pass to triple twist.

You can see many of Vanasia's upgrades below or click here.
               

  Triple Twist: There is video of you training a triple twisting double, was that just for fun or do you plan on competing it? 

Vanasia at age 13 working on triple twisting doubles. Watch below or click here.
             

Vanasia: I won't be competing that, haha. But I should compete the double double. 

Triple Twist: Besides for qualifying to elite, what has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

Vanasia: The next biggest thing I did was at level 9 nationals. I got 2nd all around and first on bars. 

Triple Twist: What do you like to do when your not in the gym?

Vanasia: Well, I like to coach if I can. But other then that I love hanging out with friends, going shopping, painting my nails, you know..normal people stuff. 

Vanasia coaching younger girls at the gym.


Triple Twist: What grade are you in and do you home school or go to public school?

Vanasia: I'm in 8th grade and I go to public school. 

Triple Twist: After watching the London Olympics, what was your favorite moment? Did anything stand out to you?

Vanasia: I didn't really have a favorite part, but watching the whole thing helped me realize that I really wanted to go elite. 

Triple Twist: What are some of your goals in gymnastics? 

Vanasia: This year I want to make the National Team and down the road I want to make it to the 2016 Olympics. 

You can learn more about Vanasia by visiting her Gym Diva's site here.


Thank you Vanasia and we wish you the best of luck in the future! 


1 comment: