Monday, March 17, 2014

Q&A with Ireland's India McPeak

India McPeak is an up-and-coming elite gymnast who competes for both Ireland and Northern Ireland. While artistic gymnastics may not be a very popular sport in her country, India is certainly helping to put them on the radar. In 2013 she represented Ireland in several major international competitions such as the European Championships, the World Championships, and the Cottbus Cup. We caught up with India to discuss her college plans, future upgrades, and more! 



You committed to Western Michigan a few years ago and now it seems you are changing your commitment?
When the new coach took over at WMU, she decided not to honor the scholarship commit.  At the time, I was devastated but this definitely motivated me to work hard and not give up on my dream of competing in college gymnastics.

I know you are in the process of finding another school. Have you gone on any other visits besides for the University of Michigan?
No, nothing's scheduled yet - my initial decision was to defer for a year, so I am in contact with some schools for 2015 entry also.

Speaking of Michigan, how was your official visit? 
I had a great time in Michigan! The team, coaches, and support staff were all so welcoming and friendly. They have a fantastic gymnastics program and amazing facilities. It was awesome to seem them win their meet against UCLA and Utah!



What makes you want to do college gymnastics?
In the UK, college gymnastics doesn't exist and I'm definitely not ready to give up the sport I love! Competing in FIG is mostly individual, so to be apart of an NCAA team would be amazing! I love the team atmosphere and energy. Being at the meet last week (Michigan vs. UCLA/Utah) made me want this even more.

When can fans expect your commitment announcement? 
I have fans?! haha. As soon as I have something to tell, the Twitter World will know immediately!

Will you still do elite once you begin college?
Yes, I hope to but obviously college commitments will always come first.

Can you explain how you compete for both Ireland and Northern Ireland?
Being Northern Irish I am entitled to dual nationality i.e. I can have British and Irish passports. This enables me to compete for both countries - for Commonwealth Games I will be competing for Northern Ireland and for World Championships I will be competing for Ireland.

What have been some of your proudest accomplishments so far?
In 2010, I fractured a vertebrae (yes, in gymnastics!) and I had to take over 2 months completely out of training. Returning to competition within 6 months and being stronger than ever was something I thought I would never achieve! Any time I compete for my countries is always a proud moment. The most memorable being when Northern Ireland placed 3rd as a team at the Northern European Championships and competing for Ireland at my first World Championships last year.



Do you have any cool memories from Worlds that you can share?
Hmm... in the training halls one day, Brandon Wynn saw my teammate Emma Lunn and I, and he shouted across the gym to us and literally everyone turned around to see who he was talking to! (We've been friends since Cottbus World Cup last year) I felt so cool! Then on the first day of training I saw Martha Karolyi watching me on beam...talk about pressure! And then just before marching out to compete, I (quite literally) bumped into Kyla Ross in the toilets. She's so lovely though!



Did you say anything to Kyla?
Well I apologized for bumping into her, then it was just hair talk and the troubles of getting your bun to stay in! #gymnastprobs

What is gymnastics like in your country? Is it a popular sport?
Gymnastics would not be the most popular of sports here as most kids do school sports, and gymnastics is not one of them. It is however growing throughout the country with the standard of clubs and coaching getting better and better. Hopefully we will see Ireland moving up the world rankings in years to come.

Are you working on any upgrades for this season?
Vault: Adding a full twist on my laid-out tsuk
Bars: Aiming to have a jaeger in for Commonwealths
Beam: Ready to compete 2.5 twist dismount
Floor: Triple twist (no pun intended lol) and front 2/1 twist

And some random questions just for fun. If you weren't a gymnast, what sport would you do?
Diving would be cool!

If you were stranded on an island and could only take one thing with you what would it be?
My iPhone.. but then I'd need a charger, and electricity, and a 3G network, and unlimited data. So that wouldn't work... hmm... probably The Hunger Games trilogy!

If you could have the career of any gymnast who would it be and why?
Shawn Johnson - I've always admired her power and skill, and I love how even after retiring from gymnastics she is still promoting health and fitness

What is your dream skill?
Double double on floor and laid-out full twist on beam!

What are some of your future goals?
I would love to make all around or apparatus finals at the Commonwealth Games in July. But my long term goal - Rio 2016!


Check out some of India's impressive upgrades on beam! 
 

Be sure to follow India on Twitter! (Here)

9 comments:

  1. I can't believe WMU would take India's scholarship away! I hope she gets into an even better school and totally kicks their butt in competition :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck at College, and on the road to Rio 2016! I agree with Christian, the fact that they didnt honor the scholarship is silly, I hope you go to a rival school and perform better than the person that they gave your scholarship to!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The particular versatility individuals authors permits us all to make available and supply an array of services and different types connected with documents. We now have employed talented authors coming from just about all fields of study, plus they are able to finishing any good educational document you may need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you brother this is nice information i liked! good working brother. Best games online. لعبة الدراجة المثيرة

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is the most latest collection we have arranged here for you. We are providing you best table decoration ideas thanksgiving knock knock jokes christmas wishes photos happy new year wallpaper 2017 some of the phenomenal collection with variations and trendy touch. You can make you desire fulfill with these amazing collection provided here

    ReplyDelete