Saturday, May 17, 2014

On The Rise- Felicia Hano

It's not easy to keep a three year old's attention, however all Denise Hano had to do was put her daughter Felicia in front of the television screen and turn on some gymnastics. It was at that moment when she first realized her love for the sport. "I told my mom I wanted to do flips like them." Felicia said. Just three weeks later, Felicia was officially enrolled in tumbling and trampoline classes. By 2006, Felicia was competing as a level 5 in tumbling, a level 6 in double mini, and a level 7 in trampoline. She also began taking artistic gymnastics classes in the fall and was competing as a level 4. Talk about balancing a full plate!


By the time Felicia was nine years old she was a member of the TOPS National "B" Team for artistic gymnastics and on the National Jumpstart Team for trampoline and tumbling. Within the next year she would win two silver medals at the 2009 T&T World Championships and jump from level 6 to level 8 in artistic gymnastics. Thanks to her background in tumbling, Felicia is a strong floor worker and a powerful vaulter.




In 2010, Felicia shifted her focus solely to artistic gymnastics. She started the season as a level 9 and finished the season as a level 10. By 2012 she was one of the top level 10 gymnasts in the country- qualifying to the Nastia Cup and winning the all around and vault title at the JO National Championships.


In the summer of 2012, Felicia made a visit to UCLA .Of course she didn't return home without a new floor routine courtesy of Miss Val. "She is so good at what she does! We had a lot of fun that day." Felicia recalled. In 2013, Felicia announced her commitment to UCLA and plans to join the gymnastics team during the 2016-2017 school year. "I absolutely love the coaches, gymnasts, and what they stand for as a school." Felicia said on her decision "I'm really excited for the team atmosphere- which college is notorious for and competing in Pauley Pavilion."  



Felicia had nearly identical success in 2013 that she did in 2012- qualifying to the Nastia Cup again and defending her all around and vault JO National title. After her success on the JO scene, Felicia felt like she was ready to move up into the elite ranks. "The reality of going elite was after winning the 2013 JO National Championships. It gave me the confidence I needed to try elite." Felicia told us. In her first elite meet which was the American Classic, Felicia placed 3rd all around and first on vault with her sky high yurchenko double.

At the 2013 P&G Championships, Felicia started out strong on day one, finishing 10th all around and 5th on vault. However on day two she struggled on bars and withdrew from the competition after falling twice and suffering from a concussion. "Day two was not my day! I was still recovering from a toe injury and I was competing with stitches in my toe. I had it heavily taped and was not use to it on bars, so the tape slipped and I peeled." Felicia said. Despite not getting to finish the competition, Felicia looks at the experience in a positive light. "I believe it made me stronger as a person and as an athlete." she said.

In January of 2014 Felicia made the switch Gym Max.  "I chose Gym Max because I knew that they are capable of taking me to where I want to go in elite." Felicia said. "Howie and Jenny are amazing coaches and I'm so happy to be there with them!" Felicia trains for up to 35 hours a week with a training group that includes 2012 Olympic gold medalist Kyla Ross. "It's really awesome training alongside Kyla because she pushes me to be a better gymnast. She's not only a great gymnast but also a great friend!"



Felicia is looking forward to the upcoming elite season where she hopes to compete a few new upgrades such as a double layout on floor and a second vault. She would also like to make the senior US National team and hopefully get some international assignments. This is Felicia's first year as a senior and she's sure to shine with everything she's capable of! 

10 comments:

  1. Good Luck Felicia!! We will be cheering you all the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's great! You are so talented Felicia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great update, I look forward to seeing her compete - hopefully this summer. I like the change of the website background BTW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers! You have really allured me; I have no words to explain my feelings about your post.
    Best Fitness centre in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trampolines are generally considered as a fun outdoor amusement item for children. Exercising on trampoline helps to keep you healthy and fit. Trampolines for Kids

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great safety feature even if your kids are not so young. The trampoline skirt will also add to the life of your trampoline.You can purchase a trampoline accessory that will enable your child to play basketball. The trampoline basketball set is not overly expensive and adds a new dimension to your kid's trampoline. find out more

    ReplyDelete