Sunday, October 19, 2014

Dear Gymternet- Journals from Elena Arenas (Entry #5 October 2014)


Dear Gymternet, 

I've had really fun and exciting times this past month!  I was selected to represent the USA at the Pan American Gymnastics Union camp (PAGU) along with one of my best friends, Maile O'Keefe.  I also went on my very first recruiting trip to UGA.

When I found out I was going to PAGU, I was so excited!  I was at the ranch for camp last month when I found out and I couldn't wait until I could tell my mom!  I knew they were only selecting two gymnasts to go and I didn't know who the other person was until the next day and when they told me it was Maile I was super happy!  I texted Maile after gym that night and we were both wondering what it would be like and hoping that some of the girls will know English. Haha!


Elena with Maile O'Keefe


A few weeks later I got my USA apparel in the mail and it was so much fun opening up the box.  My dad/coach was out of town visiting family when it came and he wanted me to wait for him to open it, but I couldn't wait to see what was inside!  I got three USA leos, a shirt, a bag and shorts.  My dream of representing the USA was coming true!  I am going to keep training really hard the next couple of weeks so I can be as prepared as possible for PAGU.

Going on my first recruiting trip was very exciting!  It was at UGA and I couldn't wait to see the campus.  It was fun to share this experience with my teammate (Sami Durante).  First we watched the Gym Dogs workout, then we took a golf cart to go eat. Sami and I sat on the back of the golf cart which was fun because I've never done that!  We then spelled out a word using our bodies around campus.  The next day we went to the football game and then we all hung out afterwards.  It was so much fun and I hope to get to explore other colleges in the future!




Right now I am on my way to the ranch for developmental camp.  I'm very excited to show what I'm working and see all of my friends!  Right when we get there, I always run to the bulletin board to see who my roommates are.  Today I have physical abilities testing ... wish me luck! :)

~ Elena

Note: Elena wrote this while on her way to the ranch. Due to poor service in the area, this entry is a few days late. Elena is now back home and training for the PAGU camp!

Elena also received her "Triple Twist" t-shirt a few weeks ago. It may be a few sizes too big, but she still rocks it!


13 comments:

  1. How old is she? I am from Europe so have not idea how does it work in USA, but common to start looking for uni that soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is thirteen. I know it sounds crazy, but looking at colleges as a young teenager is common for American athletes. Many girls begin committing when they are fourteen and fifteen! Schools only offer so many scholarships each year, so girls like to get ahead and look into all their options so they can then take some time and decide where they want to go. With girls committing at younger ages every year, you can't wait around if you want to get a scholarship to your school of choice.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the update. I like reading these. And she's not talking about going there to attend college, but doing gymnastics stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both. If you are on the gymnastics team at a college, you also go to school there!

      Delete
  3. I love your gymnastics blog! I have a gym blog too! mhaynes18.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. not a huge fan of gymnastics but it is similar to basketball. come to my blog for some great ball news http://cshine18.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog.
    Thanks for sharing such a nice information that is very useful for us. Keep up the good work.
    gyms in hanson ma

    ReplyDelete