Friday, October 28, 2016

Preseason chat with Valorie Kondos Field

The UCLA Bruins could be back in contention for an NCAA title this year with arguably one of the best rosters currently in the NCAA. The freshman class alone includes two Olympic Champions, a former National Team member, and a set of twin sisters that were stars during their JO careers! The Bruins also look to welcome Macy Tronjo, a former elite and redshirt freshman, into the lineups this year. UCLA's roster also returns a lot of talent in Katelyn Ohashi, Angi Cipra, Peng Peng Lee and Hallie Mossett--just to name a few. In her 27th year as the Head Coach at UCLA, Valorie Kondos Field could have a team that brings home a national title for the first time since 2010. Will the Bruins have what it takes to reclaim their spot at the top of the podium? Valorie talks with us about her expectations for some of the freshman, her goals for the team, choreography and more! 


You have a very large but talented freshman class this year (9 incoming freshman to be exact.) On what events might we see some of these ladies breaking into the lineups? 
Hopefully, Kyla Ross and Felicia Hano will compete in the all-around. Madison Kocian on everything but vault. Grace Glenn is also a strong all-arounder, she should shine on floor, bars, and beam. Grace Kramer is an amazing vaulter and really powerful on floor,

How is Macy Toronjo doing? 
She's actually doing well and will hopefully be ready to compete in the all-around mid-season. She's been sidelined with a rare eye disease which has kept her from training for about a month now. She just started back last week. She's in great shape and should be able to get her skills back quickly.

Have all the floor routines for this season been choreographed? What routine are you most excited for fans to see? 
Oh my goodness no! In fact, I'm very behind. I've done 4 out of the 15. So far, Angi's acting ability is off the charts. Hallie is as stunning as ever and JaNay...boy that girl can dance. The pleasant surprise so far for me has been Kyla--she's a really good dancer. I think you're going to see a new Kyla on the floor this year performance-wise. I know she's going to be smiling a lot.

You've choreographed many brilliant floor routines in your career. Do you ever run out of ideas? Where do you find inspiration? 
Yes! I'm that person that inaccurately thinks I've used up all my creative ideas. So silly. I get inspiration from the music first and from watching a ton of videos. I was trying to add up how many routines I've choreographed since I started in 1977 choreographing for Jim Stephenson in Nor. Cal. I was 17 then and 57 now...interesting to think back to all the routines I've done.

A reader of our site wants to know if you feel intimidated coaching this years team? You do have arguably one of the best rosters this season!
"Intimidated?" That's a unique word to use. No. I feel honored and blessed. Not only are they talented but they're really amazing human beings. I'm having a ball, especially with Kyla. She and I are almost exact opposites with how our brains work. She is meticulous, organized, linear in her thinking and extremely disciplined once she sets her course. And I'm all over the map! The classic left brain vs. right brain scenario. We have fun trying to find the happy medium.

Jordyn Wieber will be serving as a volunteer assistant coach this year, can you talk a little about that? 
Well, we're excited to finally have her here next month once she finishes with the tour. She hasn't been allowed to coach the past 3 years. I anticipate she's going to be a phenomenal coach in that she's already got the respect of the team combined with her knowledge and clam but intense delivery...shes such a gift. I'm already getting sad thinking this is the last year we have her.

What are your goals for the team this season? 
Our goals are to reach the top of the Coach Wooden Pyramid - Competitive Greatness, being able to be your best is needed. I really feel we did this last year. Hopefully, we'll stay healthy and compete on that last night for another team title.

Elite gymnastics is so intense and serious, how do you help your former elite athlete transition to the college atmosphere? 
I explain that all athletics and all sports are entertainment. Without a strong base we cease to exist. We can't just focus on executing perfect skills, we have to embrace the "performance" aspect of our sport. I also illuminate for them that in elite they compete a handful of times a year. In college they compete 16 times in 4 months. It's a totally different mental game, one that elite gymnasts are ready and excited for by the time they come to college.

Now that it's been a year, what are your thoughts on the yurchenko full being devalued? Do you like the change?
I do like the change because we had to do something to make it not the compulsory event. I still don't think our rules are tweaked enough to encourage and reward originality and virtuosity. I'm an advocate to go to a 9.7 start value and re-introduce ROV (risk, originality, virtuosity) into our scoring system.



No comments:

Post a Comment