Monday, December 5, 2011

The Hardest Skill In Gymnastics....

"Conquering any difficulty always gives one a secret joy. For it means pushing back a boundary-line and adding to one's liberty." - Henri Frederic Amiel

What's the hardest skill for a gymnast to conquer? We asked some elite gymnasts from around the world to see what was their toughest skill to learn.


Cassie Whitcomb (4 Time National Team Member, Freshman at UCLA)
"The hardest skill for me to learn was my stalder pike hect on the the uneven bars."
(Photo from Cassie Whitcomb's Official Website)
                                        
Samantha Peszek (2008 Olympian, Sophomore at UCLA)
"I think the hardest skill in gymnastics for me to learn mentally was a round off back handspring, but physically was a front giant."
 (Photo from insidegymnastics.com)

Erika Fasana (5th All Around at the 2010 Junior European Championships)
"Every single skill on uneven bars I'm a bit afraid of!"
(Photo from Erika Fasana)

Briley Casanova (2 Time National Team Member, Freshman at University of Michigan in 2013)
"I would say one of the hardest skills for me to learn would be a standing arabian on the beam."
(Photo from Briley Casanova's official website)

Kristina Vaculik (2011 Canadian World Team Member, Sophomore at Stanford)
"I think one of the hardest skills for me to learn was the kip. That one is tough."
(Photo from International Gymnast)

Elizabeth Price (2 Time National Team Member)
"The hardest skill for me to learn was probably a yurchenko layout vault. I remember day after day having bad landings on that vault. It took me a shorter amount of time to learn a twisting vault and land nicely!"
(Photo from Elizabeth Price's Official Website)

Brandie Jay (2 Time Pan Am Gold Medalist, Georgia Freshman in 2013) 
"I guess the hardest thing for me was a double back off beam....it was just the scariest thing for me to learn."
(Photo from sports.yahoo.com)

Kim Zmeskal (1991 World Champion, Owner of Texas Dreams Gymnastics)
"The skill that gave me more trouble than any other skill in my career was the '96 compulsory bar dismount, a skill that many around the world have learned easily- a toe on front 1/2 dismount. Being an 18 year old when starting to learn it with no toe circle basics as well as the fact that I wanted to do the 1/2 turn before flipping forward made this skill my "hardest skill"... I wish I could say it was something... umm, harder."
(Photo from wikifeet.com)


Read our other question posts:



What are you thinking during your routine?

What's in your gym bag?

What goes into making a floor routine?

Have a question that you'd like to see answered in our next segment? Shoot us an email through our contact page!

2 comments: