Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Perfect Balance

For an elite athlete, the hours in a day go by very quickly. Between training anywhere from 4-8 hours, attending public school (or taking online classes), and being a normal teenager; life can get pretty hectic! Many people may wonder how are they able to balance it all out? So we asked 5 current elite gymnasts, how are you able to find a prefect balance?

Madison Desch
2011-2012 Junior National Team Member
(Photo credit: Chalkbowl.com)

"I actually go to a catholic/private school. I train about 6 hours a day and because of gym I only go to school half a day. I miss two full classes which I have to make up on my own time. I balance it all pretty well. I work on my homework and stuff to and from gym and at home."

Talia Chiarelli
2011 Canadian World Team Member
(Photo Credit: Jeff Sipsey)



"I go to public school full time and I train for about 4 hours a day. I practice all week and on Saturday mornings, so that the rest of the weekend I can pretty much do whatever I want to! In my spare time I'm always out with my friends, either shopping or going out to lunch or doing other fun things like that. I love going downtown and shopping too! I also really enjoy baking and cooking"

Simone Biles
14th All Around 2011 Junior Nationals
(Photo Credit: Jessica Frankl)

"I do homeschooling by myself! Most people would probably think it's boring but it doesn't really bother me! Sometimes I wish I could go to regular school but I can't, so I just live with it! But my gymnastics team is my family! And also the girls that I compete with like Katelyn Ohashi are like family to me since were pretty close! I do hang out with my gym friends outside of the gym but that's about it! Gymnastics's is basically the ruler of my life! I train everyday in the morning from 9:00- 11:30 and then from 2:30-6:30. So I train about 7 1/2 hours a day!"

Briley Casanova
2 Time Junior National Team Member
(Photo Credit: Inside Gymnastics)

"I go to a private school for athletes or anybody who spends their time with an extracurricular activity, and I train up to 8 hours a day, 6 times a week. I tend to stay very focused on schoolwork and gym during the week, and fit in time with my friends on weekends"

Hallie Mossett
National Team Member 2008, 2011-2012
(Photo Credit: Brian Jones)
"I train 6 hours a day for now, but closer into the season I train like 7-7 1/2 hours. Basically, I go to school until lunch and then I leave for practice. Then I do all my homework when I get home! I get to do fun stuff on the weekends and when I stay for lunch at school!"


Read our other questions posts:





What's the hardest skill in gymnastics?

What's in your gym bag?

What goes into making a floor routine?


Have a question that you'd like to see answered in our next segment? Shoot us an email through our contact page!


6 comments:

  1. Nice Information! I personally really appreciate your article. This is a great website. I will make sure that I stop back again!.
    How to start a fitness studio

    ReplyDelete