Monday, January 2, 2012

Quick Chat With British Olympic Hopeful Danusia Francis

How did you get started in gymnastics?

"I had a lot of energy as a child and my mum took me along to an after school session run by a family friends friend! And from then on I loved it!"

When you were young, what gymnasts did you look up to?

"Nastia Liukin is my idol for sure! But growing up I was a huge fan of Andreea Raducan." 

What was the best advice you have been given?

 "The best advice I have ever been given is 'everything happens for a reason' it helps me a lot, for example when you have an injury it allows you to make time for other things that you normally wouldn't be able to fit into your session and often you come through your injury having made improvements in other areas!"

You committed to UCLA for the 2012-2013 season, how excited are you to be a bruin? 

 "I AM SO EXCITED!!! I cannot wait, i absolutely loved it on my recruiting visit and everyone I met was so nice and I just can't wait to be a part of it all!"

 What other colleges were you considering? Why did you choose UCLA?

"I was also considering Florida, I'm not sure why but for some reason I just felt UCLA was the place for me. I have been to LA twice before and loved it, so this played a part in my decision making."

What is your favorite part of gymnastics?

"My favorite part of gymnastics is the feeling you get after you have just done an amazing performance or a new skill. But also just performing in general I find fun and all the opportunities I have had to meet new people and travel!"

You were on the worlds team in 2010 and 2011, do you think that gives you an edge going into the Olympic year?

"I am very superstitious so would never say something unless I was certain it was true. So no, I don't think it gives me an edge, but it obviously shows that I have performed under pressure before and adds to my experience but it there are so many of us fighting for a spot on the team and in this sport anything can happen. I'll just have to keep knocking on wood!"


How excited are you knowing that the Olympics are in your country and your team has already qualified?

 "I am so excited, I can't wait as I really think London will do a great job as hosts! And if I was on that team the adrenaline rush of the home crowd and team spirit which will surround team GB is going to be like nothing I have experienced before!"

 What is the selection process for the Olympic team like in Britain?

"I am not 100%  on how many trials we have- as my first focus of the year is Europeans, but we will all take part in various competitions. The final trial and announcement of the team will be at our national championships in June!"

What do you need to do to get ready for this big upcoming year?

"I need to remain focused and make sure I am focusing on the goals and communicating with my coaches, teachers and family so I am in the best shape and give myself the best chance of making the team. I have worked since I was 5 years old for the Olympics and to have it getting so close is such a scary thought but all I can do is my best and if my best is good enough it would be a dream come true to represent GB in London and hopefully make my family, friends and coaches and anyone who has ever helped me proud."

(Photo Credit: Alan Edwards)

7 comments:

  1. It was very nice to read such an enthusiastic and honest interview ;-) Francis is definitely a wonderful and very unique gymnast that we all look forward to seeing again at Europeans latest.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete