Friday, March 23, 2012

Ashley Lambert-A Second Chance

Just recently, seventeen year old Ashley Lambert from Virginia announced that the University of Nebraska has offered her a full ride scholarship. In May of 2011, Ashley suffered from what she was sure was a career ending injury- she broke her neck while training and would have to sit out from gymnastics for a full year in order to recover.

                    

In August, Ashley verbally committed to LSU, but in November her scholarship was taken away because of her injury. Luckily for Ashley, she has a second shot at the sport she loves....with the University of Nebraska. This is what courage, hard work, and determination looks like. Any other gymnast with an injury this severe would have most likely called it quits. Ashley Lambert sends a strong message all around the world to never give up.


(Photo Credit: Lloyd Smith)

Triple Twist: After your injury, did you ever consider calling it quits?

Ashley: When I first broke my neck, I definitely called it quits right then and there. My doctors where telling me that 80% of the people who break their C1 are paralyzed from the neck down or die from their respiration being cut off. I broke my C1 in two places and my C6 in one place. So I thought it was best for me to stop at that moment because I was really scared to do ANYTHING!

Triple Twist: What was it like being out of the gym for so long and was it hard to get back into shape?

Ashley: It was kind of depressing being away from all my gym girls. I did visit the gym a couple of times because I needed to see them. I was exiled in my house for a while, so I didn't get to see any of my friends really. But I'm pretty much an all american athlete, so getting back in shape wasn't much of a problem for me!

Triple Twist: How happy were you when you realized you could still do gymnastics...and at the level that you are doing it? 

Ashley: I was super happy that I was able to do gymnastics again. When I first broke my neck, the doctors were telling me I may never be able to to do gymnastics again, but I healed up and just went for it. I'm so amazed that I was able to get back to the level I was at when I left, because not many people can become as good as they were, but I did. 

Triple Twist: What are you looking forward to most with college gymnastics?

Ashley: I'm definitely looking forward to the college experience. All the girls that graduated come back from their breaks and vacations and tell us how much fun college gymnastics is and how its worth all the crazy training hours now. So I'm very excited.

Triple Twist: Describe the moment when you found out Nebraska was offering you a full scholarship. 

Ashley: When my coach told me, I instantly got super excited! I didn't know if any colleges were going to recruit me because of how bad my injury actually was. But Nebraska is willing to take chances and I'm so thankful for that.

Triple Twist: What advice would you give to a young gymnast who is dealing with an injury? 

Ashley: Just keep your head up and keep on following your dreams and goals. I've put in 11 years of hard work for a full scholarship to a school and I'm not letting anything get in my way. So for a gymnast dealing with a serious injury, just keep your head up because its not the end...

(Photo Credit: The Lambert Family)

                 
   Check out Ashley at her most recent meet! She is slowly but surely getting her old self back!



Thank you Ashley, we wish you all the best!






1 comment: