Monday, November 5, 2012

Catalina Ponor- Final Dismount

At an age that is considered ancient in the sport of gymnastics, 25 year old Catalina Ponor of Romania announced her retirement from the sport that has been her life at the elite level the past 8 years. Fans from across the globe watched as the Romanian queen took her final bow during the floor event finals at the 2012 London Olympics.

Just 8 years earlier, Ponor was a 3 time Olympic gold medalist in the 2004 Athens games (team, balance beam, and floor) and became the first gymnast since Daniela Silivaş in 1988 to win 3 gold medals in a Olympic Games. After her success in Athens, Catalina seemed content with her medal count. "I'm very happy for my medals. Today it was a dream that came true. I would like to thank my coaches for the courage they gave me during the competition, and for the preparation. The atmosphere was wonderful, simply unique. Adding these two titles to the team's gold is an amazing feeling. I was not afraid that I was going to lose the gold medal on Floor. When I won the gold medal on Balance Beam, I was very emotional. I had wished to win that medal forever. I became even more emotional when I won the gold medal on Floor Exercise, because it became a second gold medal, and a gold medal is very hard to get." Catalina competed briefly in 2005-2007, retiring after the 2007 World Championships due to ongoing injuries.

                           

In March, Ponor began training again with the Romanian national team under the newly returned coaches Octavian Belu and Mariana Bitang. At the beginning of August, Ponor had a minor medical procedure to correct a congenital heart defect that was causing an arrhythmia. Luckily, she was able to resume training that very week. "I had a congenital problem I was born with, but I went to the doctor and all is well. This will not stop me in making a successful comeback" At the end of August, Ponor competed at the Romanian National Championships in Onesti, Romania where she placed second on balance beam and third on floor. In October, Ponor competed at the 2011 World Championships in Tokyo, Japan. She helped the Romanian team place fourth and individually she placed seventh in the balance beam final. But Catalina wanted more.  "I want to do the same thing that I did in 2004. It was hard to make a comeback, but all the time I was thinking that I could do it. I will not relax till I reach my goal." That goal, would include multiple medals at the 2012 London Olympics, and maybe even a few gold.

I watched Catalina compete in 2004 and was captivated by how powerful her gymnastics was. It's incredible to know that 8 years later, she can still hang with some of the very best  in the world. Even though Catalina only left London with a team bronze and silver on floor (with one of the best routines I've seen, might I add!) she wants to make it clear that she leaves this sport with no regrets. "I will say it again, I want everyone to know, I will quit without regrets. I have worked every second for my team, I have worked every second for myself, I have worked every second for everybody. I have already been an Olympic champion. I will quit gymnastics with my chin up." Catalina will always be remembered for her elegant beam work, powerful tumbling, and inspiring determination. Not many people could make a successful comeback to a sport like gymnastics after 4 years of not stepping foot in the gym. Not to mention she only had 7 months to produce world class routines on every event. For Catalina Ponor, impossible is clearly just a word.

         

While it was hard to see one of Romania's legends say farewell to the sport, Catalina is certain gymnastics will always be apart of her "For now, I want to have a vacation so I can relax my mind. Afterwards, I want to try to do something like coaching." Catalina is currently training for the Mexico Gala in November, although she has not committed to continue competing in gymnastics. 

Your gymnastics will certainty be missed Catalina!


More articles on Catalina's retirement:

http://www.romania-insider.com/romanian-gymnast-catalina-ponor-retires-after-london-games-with-five-career-olympic-medals/62830/

http://www.gymnastike.org/coverage/248218-2012-London-Olympics/article/13971-Catalina-Ponor-Says-Farewell-One-Final-Time

http://www.examiner.com/article/ponor-announces-her-retirement



Written by: Brittany


3 comments:


  1. We must observe that any plastic bracelet comes with proxy mainly manufactured for dive. Together ties, every one utilizing tag heuer replica sale their own personal unique layout, gives a rather relaxing dress in over the wrist. Yet, anytime you will have give back as many as the outer, you can expect to dress in an individual's Jaeger-LeCoultre utilizing pants together with workout shoes; being dressed in a good meet together with place could truly offer you a bit of a difficulty specified the structure together with specifications within the see! With regards to any preparing to your numerous screens over the switch, Jaeger-LeCoultre makes it all effortless, into the connoisseurs' terrific pleasures, utilizing replica chanel sale the help of an exceedingly straightforward manual. Any beauty within the several crowns with the compression ideas will appear to be terrifying for you if you are not familiar with such things. Frankly, very little is usually much easier to take advantage of: revolving any wingnuts unlocks any crowns for that old fashioned take advantage of align together with a blowing wind any see - the miscroscopic purple arrows over the dial's edge could specify that your crowns happen to be revealed. An individual will be finished together with the numerous configuration settings, you could rotate any wingnuts omega replica sale during the reverse of focus (when using the minor bright white arrows the top) thus ensure that your Jaeger-LeCoultre is completely water-resistant. Any preparing to your a lot of time (which happens to be finished by just one-hour increments in advance together with reverse, on his own within the seconds), and also styles to your seconds and also go out with are very finished properly obese lessen.

    ReplyDelete