Wednesday, October 31, 2012

From elite to high school gymnastics!

How would a high school gymnastics team like to have a former elite gymnast on their team? It's not very common in the world of gymnastics, but Claire Hammen, a former elite and current level 10 from GK Gymnastics takes high school gymnastics to a whole new level! Claire competed as an elite gymnast from 2010 to early 2012, she joined her high school gymnastics team her sophomore year and is currently competing as a level 10 gymnast. Claire has verbally committed to the University of Denver, although she can not officially sign until her senior year of high school. We talked to Claire about competing on her high school gymnastics team where she is currently the regional all around, vault, and floor champion. Claire was also named "Colorodo Gymnast of the Year!"



Left: Claire 3rd from the left with her elite teammates Right: Claire far left with her high school teammates.


Claire on the elite scene. 
                     

Triple Twist: What made you decide to compete in high school gymnastics?

Claire: I just wanted to have more fun in the gym!

Triple Twist: Did you have to modify any of your routines in order to compete for your school?

Claire: I had to modify all my events. I watered them down to fit the high school rules. I do some basic skills and some hard skills depending on the rules for that event. All my routines start from a 10.

Triple Twist: Are you one of the most advanced girls on your team?

Claire: I am one of the most advanced girls on my school team, but a couple of my club teammates compete for another school creating good competition!

Triple Twist: How does your school training work? Does it ever interfere with your club training?

Claire: The season started the first week of September and training started mid August. I go to club everyday, but we don't have practice on Thursday, so that's when I go to high school practice. It doesn't really interfere with club!

Triple Twist: What's your favorite part about high school gymnastics?

Claire: My favorite part is that its fun and I love having the team aspect. In high school it's more of a team sport, in club its more individual.
Claire on the high school scene.




Click here to visit Claire's website.
Watch Claire at States here.

Photo Credit: Report Herald

Written by: Ashlee




2 comments: