Friday, October 5, 2012

One to watch: Jordan Chiles

Here's a name you might want to remember: Jordan Chiles. At just 11 years old, Jordan is already training some big skills like a 3 1/2 twist on the tumble track (watch here) and a triple twist dismount off beam. When a video of her was posted on tumblr, the gymternet went crazy and couldn't believe what they saw from this talented young girl. Her routines are unique and well performed for her age! It's a shame she's 9 months too young for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Photo Credit: BLP Studios L.L.C


Jordan lives in Oregon and trains at Naydenov Gymnastics with her coaches Erika Bakacs and Dimitri Taskov. She trains around 32 hours a week and is working hard to qualify elite for the 2013 season. Read our interview with Jordan below.

Triple Twist: How did you get started in gymnastics? 

Jordan: "I couldn't stop cartwheeling down the isles of stores or walking on my hands! I had a lot of energy so my dad and mom took me to Naydenov Gymnastics and everything started from there." 

Triple Twist: Who are some of your role models? Is there anybody in particular that you look up to?

Jordan: "I really only have one. I go to church, so I really look up to Jesus and how he loved people. In gymnastics, probably Gabby Douglas but I really like Nadia Comeneci." 

Triple Twist: What would you consider your greatest accomplishment so far?

Jordan: "My new elite beam routine! It's massive and fun. Also my front triple to front full!" 

                              
                       

Triple Twist: What's your favorite event and why?

Jordan: "All of them because each one has something I love."

Triple Twist: You have been training a lot of big skills, what one was the hardest to learn?

Jordan: "Well really, the double arabian. It wasn't hard once I got it and I got it pretty fast, but my mind had to think of things differently. I just had to make my mind understand it."

Triple Twist: What's your favorite part about gymnastics?

Jordan: "Being around my friends and being able to do things that other people cant....like fly!"

Triple Twist: What's one thing that most people don't know about you?

Jordan: "That's a hard one! I play clarinet."

Triple Twist: Have you ever had an embarrassing moment during competition?

Jordan: "Oh yes! The most embarrassing was probably when I went to do my leap series on floor and my toe caught the carpet and I tripped!"

Triple Twist: While competing, how do you control your nerves?

Jordan: "I talk to myself in my mind. I say "Jordan you got this, it's just like practice" I also remember what my dad says to me before every competition, "Do your best and forget the rest." My coaches also help me breathe and shake my body before I go up."

Triple Twist: What are your goals for this season and for the future?

Jordan: "This season is to hit my new beam routine perfect and hit every handstand on bars. For the future, is to be an Olympic champion."

Thank you Jordan and family! Good luck this season!

Photo Credit: Team Photo

Click here to view Jordan's website
Click here to view Jordan's YouTube videos

Interview done by: Ashlee

1 comment: