Thursday, March 14, 2013

10 Questions with Emily Gaskins

Meet Cincinnati Gymnastics's newest elite; Emily Gaskins. She's a 7th grader from Coral Springs, Florida who recently moved to CGA to train with Mary Lee Tracy. Emily is the level 9 Eastern Champion as well as the bronze medalist from the 2012 Nadia Commenci Invitational. Emily just began competing level 10 this year and has already qualified to junior elite! We caught up with Emily to talk about her future plans and training at CGA!


Triple Twist: You recently competed in the Nastia Liukin Cup, what was that experience like?

Emily: "It was an amazing experience, just being able to meet Nastia and compete with cameras and on podium, it was the best feeling ever."

Triple Twist: You also recently qualified to junior elite, what are some of your goals as an elite gymnast?

Emily: "Some of my goals as an elite are to make the US National team and hopefully the 2016 Olympics."

Triple Twist: You have two older sisters who do sports at the University of Florida, they also have an amazing gymnastics team, have you thought about competing there one day?

Emily: "It would be so cool to be a gator gymnast! I've always wanted to be and would love to do that someday."

Triple Twist: What is it like training at CGA? Is Mary Lee a tough coach?

Emily: "I absolutely love training at CGA! Yes, Mary Lee is a tough coach, but I like that she is because she will get you to where you want to go. I also do better with tough coaches because I learn how much I love the sport everyday."



Triple Twist: Who is your role model in gymnastics?

Emily: "I would say that my role model is Courtney McCool because she had beautiful skills and flawless routines. She is also one of my coaches, and she is an amazing coach with Mary Lee."

Triple Twist: What are some of your strongest and weakest qualities when it comes to gymnastics?

Emily: "I think my strongest quality is that I can go for a lot of things, even if I'm scared. My weakest quality is that I want my routines to be perfect every time and that's almost impossible to do, so I need to know that it won't always be perfect."

Triple Twist: What would you say is your favorite and least favorite event?

Emily: "My favorite events are beam and vault. I don't really have a least favorite event because I like them all!"

Triple Twist: Gymnastike recently did a documentary on your gym, have you seen it and do you think it correctly portrays what goes on in the gym every day?

Emily: "Yes, I've seen it and I do think that it correctly portrays my gym."

Triple Twist: What would you say has been your proudest moment in gymnastics so far?

Emily: "My proudest moment in gymnastics so far would be making international elite at the ranch and getting the overall highest score out of everyone who qualified."



Triple Twist: What's the best advice you've been given?

Emily: "I have the talent to go to the Olympics and that people believe in me, so no matter what happens they will always be proud of me."

                                 
                                  Highlights from the 2012 Sand Dollar Invite  featuring Emily.
                >

5 comments: