Thursday, July 11, 2013

Quick Chat with Rebecca Bross

Photo Credit: Unknown


Let's start from the beginning, can you tell us how you got started in gymnastics? 

I was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan. When I was 5, I got put in a local summer camp. The following year my parents put me back into that same summer camp and I kept going ever since. I had to work very hard to get everything, but I loved every minute of it.

You come from a very well known gym that has produced many World and Olympic medalists. (including yourself now) Growing up, did you ever feel pressure to live up to your gyms potential?

No, not really. I never knew what the future would hold, so I just tried my best at every meet.

Can you tell us about your first international experience? 

For my first assignment I was excited but also nervous! It's definitely different competing just in the U.S. compared to competing against other countries. The first assignment I went to was actually in Hawaii, so that was a great place to start!

Like most gymnasts, you've had a lot of high and low points throughout your career. Can you walk us through some of those? 

Every athlete has highs and lows and mine are kind of very far apart. Some of my highs include the first time I made the national team knowing that I would be able to represent my country, being able to compete at worlds, winning nationals in 2010, winning the floor title at senior Pan Ams while still being a junior, and being able to travel the world. Most of my lows were definitely the injuries that I've had.

Speaking of injuries, you've had your fair share like you said. What advice would you give to a young gymnast that is dealing with an injury or going through a hard time?

Always try to stay positive and look forward. Do not dwell on the past and what has happened because you can't change it now. You just have to keep moving forward and don't try to rush anything.

What is your relationship with Valeri like? Can you describe him and some of your teammates? 

Valeri is a great coach. He has helped me through a lot and got me to where I was. I will always be very thankful for what he has done for me. My teammates were the best. They helped me through the bad time and were there for the good times.

You've experienced a lot in your career as a gymnast, do you think you will ever write a book about it? 

No, it's not really something that I've ever been interested in.

What's the hardest skill that you've done in the gym but never competed?

I've done a double double and a double layout full out off the tumble strip onto a mat in the pit.

Do you have any funny or embarrassing moments from a competition? 

Not that I can remember.

Do you have any pre meet rituals or good luck charms?

When I was younger I use to have a good luck charm that was a beanie baby, it was a little chick. But as I got older I didn't use it anymore.

What have you been up to lately? Have you made a decision about your future in gymnastics?

I have been coaching! I'm not sure what the future holds or what I'm going to do. It's a big decision to make and I don't want to rush it.

When you do retire from gymnastics, how would you like to be remembered by the gymnastics world?

I would like to be remembered as an inspiration. People should do what they love regardless if things happen how you hoped they would. Life keeps going and you have to move with it and just keep setting new goals and working towards them.



Thank you for doing this interview with us Rebecca! We wish you all the best in the future. 

4 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration! All the best with your furure.

    ReplyDelete