Monday, August 26, 2013

Laurie Hernandez- Interview

This interview was recorded on August 25th via Skype. Our original plan was to post the entire Skype call (with videos) but for some reason Laurie's screen didn't record, only the audio did (which was kind of quiet and hard to hear) So we just decided it would be easier to transcribe the interview and put her answers in written form. We had SO much fun recording this interview. As I'm sure you all know Laurie is hilarious and a blast to talk to! This is by far one of my favorite interviews that we've done, so we hope you guys like it as much as we do! Enjoy!


Triple Twist: Okay so the first question I have is about Nationals, which by the way you did an amazing job!

Laurie: Thank you!

Triple Twist: The last time we talked, you told us your goal was to hit eight for eight at Nationals and place in the top five. You exceeded that goal. How does that feel?

Laurie: It feels really good! Just to know that I worked really hard and I just did what I've been doing in the gym. I was really happy!

Triple Twist: Last year you were 21st all around and this year you placed 2nd, so you improved a lot. What happened in the gym between now and then?

Laurie: Well, last year I had just come off of some fractured wrists. It was a couple months before US Classics and Nationals, so we were kind of pushing our routines a little bit. This year we were a lot more prepared and there were no injuries or stuff like that.

Triple Twist: What did Marta have to say to you after the meet?

Laurie: She just said good job on hitting eight for eight!

Triple Twist: Did you do anything fun to celebrate?

Laurie: (She had to think about this for a second!) We had breakfast but that was it. Actually....oh wait! I went to Six Flags! That's what I did!

Triple Twist: You've been getting a lot of attention lately from fans and stuff. How does that make you feel? Do you feel like a rock star yet?

Laurie: It's pretty cool! Like, I'll just be walking in the hotel and then this little girl runs up and is like "Laurie can I have your autograph?" and I'm like "sure I don't know you, but okay!" [Laughs]



Triple Twist: And your floor routine was shown on NBC! How did you find out?

Laurie: Well I was watching day 2 of the seniors and we were sitting right where the computers are... like where they show everything that's on TV. So we were watching and I was like "OH MY GOD I'M ON TV!" So I was freaking out because everyone was like "hey Laurie you're on TV." and "we saw you on TV!"

Triple Twist: Yeah everyone was tweeting you at that moment too! I'm pretty sure the gymternet was ecstatic.

Laurie: [Laughs] Oh really?!

Triple Twist: Yeah! It was great. Now, when you are performing on floor do you realize that literally everyone in the arena stops what they are doing to watch you? All the gymnasts, all the coaches, everyone. Can you feel that?

Laurie: No not really actually, I don't feel it!

A crowd gathers to watch Laurie on floor. (Photo from eloise-in-wonderland)


Triple Twist: So you got your first International Assignment coming up in Japan. Are you excited?

Laurie: Yes!

Triple Twist: Do you know what leotard you are wearing yet?

Laurie: I actually don't know what I'm wearing yet!

Triple Twist: Well then I guess it will be a surprise! Now the last time we talked you mentioned that you met Kyla and Mckayla. What was that experience like? Any good stories?

Laurie: Well actually, my first time meeting Mckayla I was at camp. The camp before that I had missed her, so I met her at her second camp. (since the Olympics) But basically I was with my teammate and when we saw her I was like... *does starstruck face* "MCKAYLA MARONEY!" So me and her started freaking out! And then me and Mac made awkward eye contact and she was like "Hi, I haven't seen you in awhile." So I was like "you know who I am?" It was really weird. I had never seen her before and she was like "I haven't seen you in a while." [Laughs]

Triple Twist: So do you ever get autographs at camp? You're obviously still young so I'm sure you get starstruck!

Laurie: Yeah. Well I usually don't get autographs, I just casually walk up to them and be like "oh hey, can I get a picture with you?" and they'll be like "yeah sure!" But they don't know that I'm getting a picture of the memory and not just to take a picture with them. [Laughs]

Triple Twist: So we obviously all know that you love to dance and that you are a great dancer! So we have to ask, if there was a dance off at one of the national team camps, who do you think would win?

Laurie: (Her face lights up when you talk about her dancing) Thanks! And uhmm...[laughs] the entire national team?

Triple Twist: Yes! Seniors, juniors, everyone! Even Marta! Who's going to win?

Laurie: (She had to think for awhile) I don't know! [Laughs]

Triple Twist: It's okay, you can admit that you would win!

Laurie: I don't know because I have like a top three...or a top twelve. Nia's floor routine is really good and Mckayla's floor routine is really good, and Lexie's and Sydney's. [Laughs]

Triple Twist: I'd like to see you and Sydney do a dance off. That would be fierce!

Laurie: Yeah that would be pretty fierce. But we are really good friends, so it wouldn't be like crazy competition.




Triple Twist: Right! Well that's good! And speaking of dancing, there is this video that's on YouTube and it's of you dancing at the Parkettes meet. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Laurie: Yeah!

Triple Twist: What where you doing?

Laurie: Well actually, it's named "Laurie Hernandez victory dance" but I wasn't actually dancing for me. My friend Jazzy had actually qualified to be an elite and the song follow the leader came on so I was like "oh hey let's play follow the leader." and she was like "what are you talking about? We can't do that in front of all of these people!" and I was like "COME ON GIRLS!" So I started dancing not knowing that someone was recording me! They were walking away and I started to walk in the other direction, then I was like "wait where is everybody?" and I turned around and I saw them running away from me!

Triple Twist: That's so funny! I think I've watched it a million times.

Laurie: Yeah I was laughing so hard because I didn't know anybody was recording me! [Laughs]





Triple Twist: Your routines show a lot of personality and originality, can you talk a little about that?

Laurie: In the gym I'm pretty focused, but every routine matches my personality. Like my floor routine is the one routine that does and then doesn't at the same time, because my personality isn't that sassy, but my dance is sassy...so it makes me look like a sassier person I guess. But my beam skills, they match my body type I feel like. And I don't know. [Laughs] Like, I don't know how I would look doing a bail. (on bars) I feel like that would be weird. I'm sure if I worked on it it would be good, but my body style is more of a pac. Ya know? [Laughs]

Triple Twist: Yeah, that makes sense! Do you know of any skills or upgrades that you are working on for next year?

Laurie: I know that I'm working on a flight series for beam. I'm either switching it to a back handspring layout step out layout step out or I'm actually training in the gym a back handspring step out to back handspring layout to two feet. I think I might do that, but I might do two flights. I don't know. I'll see how it goes!

Triple Twist: What are your goals for next year?

Laurie: My goals for next year are to make more international trips and obviously hit 4 for 4 in all my competitions. And to just stay consistent!



Triple Twist: Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?

Laurie: 10 years from now? I'd be 23! Well, I would see myself in college hopefully. I think I would go for my masters, but that's all I know about college. I couldn't really tell you anything else! I actually want to be a choreographer.

Triple Twist: I think you would be good at that!

Laurie: Thanks! I think that would be fun!

Triple Twist: Alright, well thank you so much Laurie! We always enjoy talking to you, you are hilarious in interviews!

Laurie: Yeah this was my first Skype interview! I was like "what button do I hit?!" but yeah, when I'm being interviewed I can't help but giggle! They always ask me serious questions and I just can't be serious! [Laughs]

Sorry I had to!

Big thanks to Laurie for talking with us again! We wish you the best of luck with everything in the future! 

3 comments:

  1. This little girl... I think she is proof that you don't have to be balletic to be artistic. She is a rare American gymnast, she dances as hard as she tumbles. The musicality, expression and full body awareness makes her a great floor worker! Idk if she's had dance training, has a great choreographer or is just a natural performer. But keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete