Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Re-chalking up with Jennifer Sey

Like every young gymnast, Jennifer Sey had a dream. A dream to become an Olympian. A dream to become the best gymnast in the world. At the mere age of eleven, Jennifer entered the world of elite gymnastics; it would rule her life for the next seven years. Jennifer traveled the world representing the United States in international competitions and eventually found herself right where she wanted to be- atop the podium at the US National Championships in 1986. But there's a darker side to the story that nobody knew until Jennifer published her own memoir in 2008 entitled "Chalked Up Inside Elite Gymnastics' Merciless Coaching, Overzealous Parents, Eating Disorders, and Elusive Olympic Dreams" Jennifer tells the in-depth story of her life as an elite gymnast in the 80's which includes stories of abuse and her struggle to become sickly thin- all the things that eventually wore her down and made her dream no longer possible. We had the opportunity to speak with Jennifer about writing her book, parts of her elite career, and what she's up to today! 





When did the idea of writing your own book come about? 
I had been writing in various forms for some time- mostly screenplays. While I had gotten into film school for screenwriting (and decided not to attend), nothing ever came of writing. Then I realized that if I wrote a book vs. a screenplay, it would be done when I finished it, whether or not it ever got published. I wanted to complete something, so I decided to do what they tell you to do when you go to school for writing: write what you know. For me, that was gymnastics- my life. As an avid reader of memoirs, I recognized that an interesting story about something that many people don't know or haven't experienced that includes broadly resonant themes makes for a good read! So that's what I decided to do. 

In your book you get very personal about all the hardships you faced being an elite gymnast. Were you ever afraid to share the truth- even years after the fact? 
I was afraid to share the shame I felt about the things I considered to be my failures. I was afraid to share that I felt like a failure. I was embarrassed to share the behaviors I engaged in related to my eating disorder. Again, out of shame. But I was not afraid to share the behaviors of others- coaches, etc. To me those were just facts that established context- context of what it was like for me to participate in the sport at the elite level in the mid-80's. There were some things I vetted with others first. For instance, I shared alleged sexual abuse on the part of a coach that affected a close friend of mine. I asked her permission to share that because it's her story to share, not mine. She said okay. Interestingly, sharing the stuff I felt most ashamed of was the one thing that helped dissipate the shame. Ironic. 

Do you feel your book got a negative backlash? Who was your biggest detractor? 
There was negative backlash but it dissipated. There were a lot of coaches and people involved in the sport that were angry and called me a liar. Or more beside the point, they dismissed my story because in their minds I wasn't successful as a gymnast. The allegation being I was just bitter that I was never really that good. I definitely got some nasty letters and a lot of criticism, but it died down relatively quickly and I was brought closer to many of the girls I use to compete with. Many of them confirmed and validated the story and thanked me for writing it. The book was never meant to reflect everyone's experience, only my own. I stand by that. There are some truly amazing things about the sport, and about my own personal experience in it- things I'm grateful for to this day. But there was some bad stuff too. I meant to reflect the full experience. The inclusion of the story of sexual abuse had a positive impact. I worked with two women who made their stories of abuse known to USA Gymnastics. These coaches have now been banned from the sport.

In terms of eating disorders and abuse, do you think this could still be a problem in gyms today? 
I'm not involved in the sport, so it really is hard to say. I suspect there is still some, but it seems to have gotten much better.

In 2003, there was a documentary filmed at your former gym- Parkettes, called "Pursuing the Perfect 10" Many people thought this showed the gym in a negative light. Have you seen the documentary? What do you think? 
I did see parts and pieces. I don't think I've seen the whole thing in its entirety, so I probably shouldn't comment. But from what I saw, I felt it was an accurate reflection of the club.

Looking back now at your career do you have any regrets? 
None. I'm proud of what I accomplished. 

What are you most proud of? 
That would have to be winning the USA Championships just nine months after breaking my femur at the World Championships. 




Who was the biggest supporter in your career? 
Lois Musgrave, my coach at Will-Moor. She was a great woman- an educator first, coach second. I love that woman. She helped put me back together when things got really tough. 

Who was your idol in gymnastics? Who inspired you? 
Nadia. 

As a gymnast and as a person now, how would you describe yourself? 
Driven, manically focused on what I want to accomplish, hard working, not naturally good at anything- but will try hard enough to make up for it! 

In your book you talk a lot about your teammates and the friendship/rivalry you had. What was it like to be friends with girls who essentially you wanted to be better than?
We were more friends than anything. No one else could understand our experience but each other, so that drove the friendship. But certainly it can be difficult when you are also competing against each other. But we were friends first and foremost. I am friends with many of these people today. We shared such an uncommon childhood experience- we are bonded. 

You retired in 1987, did you ever consider college gymnastics? 
I did. When I went to college I was on crutches, I'd just had ankle surgery. I spent some time in the gym trying to rehab, thinking I'd compete, maybe, just for fun. But I was too injured and I wanted to focus on academics, friends, and having an experience that didn't involve sports. I wanted to build my identity as a person rather than an athlete. I didn't know myself as anything other than an athlete, so it took some time. 

What do you think of the state of gymnastics today? Things have changed quite a bit since your time.
Its amazing! I can't believe what they do! I wish there was a bit more of the artistic component that there use to be, it seems to have lost some of that. But man oh man, they defy believe! Those girls are magic!

And what advice would you give to those young girls competing at the elite level today? 
Work as hard as you can. Go after what you want. But do know, there is life after this sport. You will achieve beyond gymnastics, if you want to. You will spend more of your life as a non-gymnast than as a gymnast. 

Lastly, can you share what you've been up to today? 
I work at Levi's. I am the Chief Marketing Officer, which means I lead all of our marketing efforts around the globe. I have two kids- Virgil (13) and Wyatt (10) and I have a third on the way!


Watch the bar routine that clinched Jennifer the 1986 National title below.

                           

For more on Jennifer's life as an elite gymnast you can purchase her book (here).

3 comments: