Friday, September 26, 2014

Julianne McNamara- Three decades after gold

Julianne McNamara was one of the pioneers for USA Gymnastics. At a time when the Soviets and Romanians dominated the sport, Julianne and her 1984 Olympic teammates paved the way for USA Gymnastics and proved themselves a force to be reckoned with. They set the stage for everything that USA Gymnastics is today and helped inspire a nation of young girls who would go on to do even bigger things. At the age of 14, Julianne became the 1980 National Champion and earned herself a spot on the 1980 Olympic team that would eventually boycott the games. An unfortunate situation for a young girl who seemed to be at her peak- but she didn't give up. Fast forward four years and Julianne found herself training alongside Mary Lou Retton with redemption in mind. Together they made the 1984 Olympic team and lead the United States team to a historic second place finish. At those games she also scored five perfect 10's and brought home the first ever individual event gold on uneven bars and a silver medal on the floor exercise. Upon retirement, Julianne took up acting and appeared in TV shows such as Charles in Charge and Knight Rider. She attended UCLA and stayed connected to the sport by doing TV commentary. The 1984 US Olympic team was recently honored at the 2014 P&G Championships and we caught up with Julianne to reflect on the games and life today. 

Photo Credit: Unknown


Can you talk about how you got started in gymnastics. What made you decide to stick with it for so many years?
My big sister Elizabeth was doing gymnastics and I wanted to be just like her! I started at the age of eight and had a natural ability for it. I immediately fell in love! It was that love and passion for the sport that kept me doing gymnastics for so long.

At what age did you realize that you had potential to be a star?
I never thought about being a "star" but it was obvious that I had a natural ability at the age of eight. When I was eleven years old, my goal and dream was to became an Olympian. I never thought about the Olympics when I first started out. It was only for fun.

Growing up, who did you idolize in the sport? Gymnastics wasn't very popular in the US during the 70's and early 80's so did you admire any international gymnasts?
The only gymnast I ever idolized was Nadia Comaneci. She was ahead of her time and truly embodied what gymnastics meant to me. She had it all... artistry, grace, power, technique and perfect form. To me, she is the Michael Jordan of gymnastics.

You won the 1980 US National title and of course made the US Olympic team that went on to boycott the games. Can you talk about the ups and downs of that time period? Did you feel like quitting after that?
In 1980, I was only fourteen years old and was so thrilled to be an Olympian. It was disappointing that we couldn't go to Moscow, but it motivated me to keep going and make a second Olympic team and be able to compete. As I got older, I began to realize the huge disappointment that boycott had on so many athletes. To this day, it saddens me that the Olympics became a pawn in politics. The Olympics has always been an event that transcends politics and brings the world and people together in the spirit of excellence and competition.

Of course in 1984 you made a second Olympic team and brought home three medals including the first ever US team silver medal and the first individual event gold! What was it like standing on the medal podium? What kind of things did you think about?
Standing on the podium at the Olympics was surreal. I remember thinking about everything it took to get there. All the hard work and the people that helped me get atop that podium. I remember feeling so proud to represent our country and being so grateful for all my teammates.

Photo Credit: Unknown


Going into the uneven bar final did you think you had a chance at winning? 
When I competed, I never thought about results- only about the routine and doing the very best one I could do at that moment. If I did that, I could walk away proud no matter what the results were!

How would you sum up your entire experience at the Olympics?
The entire Olympic experience was a high and something so special and different than any other experience in my life. It was really uplifting. I am so thankful for that!

The 1984 Olympic team was recently honored at the 2014 P&G Championships. What was it like being reunited with your teammates?
The recent 30 year reunion was a blast! It was our "high school reunion". Many of the girls have stayed in touch, but there were some of the guys I had not seen in probably 25 years so it was great catching up with everyone and reminiscing. We all have a lifelong bond that is so unique!

Photo Credit: USA Gymnastics


What kind of legacy do you feel that the 1984 Olympic team left on USA Gymnastics?
I think the 1984 team left the legacy that we were a force to be reckoned with and the USA wasn't going away any time soon!

After the Olympics you did a little bit of acting and attended UCLA. What was your acting experience like and did you ever consider doing college gymnastics instead? 
I never considered college gymnastics because I was busy after the Olympics with many different opportunities. I also needed more time to myself after so many years of such intense training. I loved acting though, it made me feel present in the moment like gymnastics did.

Looking back on your career, what was one of the funniest memories you have? Something you will never forget...
The only thing that stands out in my mind was when there was a power outage at the '84 Olympics... that was surreal!


Lastly, what have you been up to these days?
I am first and foremost a mother of four children. They are the loves of my life and such a blessing! Professionally, I have been drawn to creative outlets. I have dabbled in the fashion industry, home remodeling, and design.

 

6 comments:

  1. A large number of researches reveal who applicable pup guidance will make an enormous appearance when it concerns fake rolex all the different pup bit chunks not to mention different procedures situations locate from pup using stores. When ever enthusiastic about educating the pup, and / or using another enable you prepare it again, some subdivisions thus significant codes that needs to be acquired as a way for some hublot replica to always be taken into consideration in fact coached. Such significant codes can include:. Reply to written text No-- written text certainly no might be a particular the word that all those pet dogs needs to explore. Guidance your family dog towards answer to this unique fundamental the word might possibly maintain that you a bunch of longines replica sale. Sit-- Guidance your family dog towards sit on charge can be described as fundamental an important part of almost any pup training program. Stay-- Some most certainly coached pup should certainly are whereby his/her holder codes, which means continue being can be described as important and vital charge through pup guidance. Down-- Getting some shut-eye concerning charge might be well over merely a eye-catching solution; it's actually a fundamental part of almost any powerful pup training program. Dog or cat pup guidance truly does a great deal rolex replica sale compared with simply just design a particular obedient, equipped partner. Guidance your family dog in the correct fashion believe it or not collects typically the join who by now is relating to pup not to mention handler. K-9s are actually store canines, not to mention they iwc replica watches store alpha dog to share these products fully what you can do.

    ReplyDelete