Wednesday, July 22, 2015

On The Road To Rio | Thema Williams


On July 9, 2015 we visited Geddert's Twistars to film with Olympic hopeful Thema Williams. Thema (pronounced like Tee-ma) is an international elite from Trinidad & Tobago who is currently living in Michigan while training for the 2016 Olympics. Thema began competing as an elite in 2011, making history for her country by becoming the first female gymnast to compete at a World Championships and for being the first female gymnast to compete a Tkatchev in international competition. Injuries have kept her from competing much internationally the last few seasons, but she is back on track and ready to show the world what she can do this year and hopefully in Rio next summer!

To stay up to date with the latest on Thema, follow her on Twitter and Instagram.



Interview Transcription

Can you start by talking about your decision to move to Michigan to train? 
It started mostly in 2013 when I came in to do the gymnastics camp in the summer and I realized that this is the place I wanted to be to train for the Olympics.

How often do you get to go home and see your family? 
I actually went home two weeks ago, but only for like an eight day period. I don't get to go home that often just because you want to stay fit and you want to stay in shape, but when I do go home it is a lot of fun.

Who is your host family? Are you living with another gymnast? 
Yeah, I live with an ex gymnast her name is Anna Hill, she was a level 10 gymnast and her parents Bob and Michelle decided to host me.

What does it mean to you to represent Trinidad at the International level? 
I just have so much pride, I'm so patriotic. I love Trinidad and Tobago and I think it's an honor to represent my country. Just wearing the flag on an international scale; I think that's really really amazing.

You competed at the World Championships in 2011, which was a pretty big meet, how was that experience for you? 
It was a learning experience I'd say because it wasn't my best meet, but just being able to see so many gymnasts who take so much pride you know? They were absolutely perfect. I think that was the highest level of gymnastics I've ever seen and it definitely pushed me to want to improve.

What are some long and short term goals for you? 
I have Croatia World Cup in September, I want to place in that meet and hopefully come home with a medal. And World Championships then the Olympics.

Any potential upgrades for this season? 
Yeah, on beam I'm working a switch ring, on bars I'm working a shaposh half and on vault I'm working a yurchenko double.

Have you ever thought about doing college gymnastics? 
Oh yeah, I've definitely thought about that. Actually that was a part of the decision to come here, because I was offered a scholarship to Michigan State and that's when I decided I wasn't ready for that part of my career yet. I wanted to go to the Olympics before I entered into college gymnastics.

So it's still a possibility? 
Yeah it's definitely in the cards for me.

What is your motivation to keep going everyday? 
Oh just focusing on my goals [and] knowing what I want to be. I want to go to the Olympics and that's definitely what keeps me going.

7 comments:




  1. By chance consider so why ındividuals are the manner in which replica chanel happen to be or simply the place these found out in the form of sure strategy? People is unable to price reduction any control for upbringing, friends, conditions together with genetics. Whilst you'll find limited or simply hardly any deal with about most of the details replica watches uk pattern our kids, you can easliy undertake some of our piece to earn a favorable main difference. People tutor him or her anyway people care for him or her and also strategy people care for other individuals. You can easliy contribute fake rolex watches by just some of our example of this together with how we answer together with control consumers together with occasions. rolex replica uk is certainly empowering together with reassuring to be familiar with the fact that young people will know really enjoy together with joy and happiness anytime tag heuer replica sale is certainly demonstrated with our own personal resides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting Article. Hoping that you will continue posting an article having a useful information. Gymnastics Accessories Australia

    ReplyDelete