Thursday, April 25, 2013

From Golden Girl to Golden Coach- An interview with Kim Zmeskal


In 1991 Kim Zmeskal-Burdette performed an energetic and upbeat floor routine in the All Around at the World Championships to secure her place at the top of the All Around podium, being the first American woman to do so. With her feat, she captured the hearts of Gymnastics fans around the world, and became an inspiration to gymnasts everywhere. Two decades later, her performances on that day are still spoken about, and continue to impress gymnasts and gymnastics fans alike. Now, Kim along with her husband Chris Burdette have opened their own gym - Texas Dreams. She is a coach training some of the top elite gymnasts in the country, several of whom are currently on the USA National team, all while maintaining a humble yet exciting personality. She can often be seen on the sidelines of meets clapping, dancing with, and cheering for her gymnasts just like she is one of them, a rare sight for a coach in the world of elite gymnastics. Patrice, a contributor for Triple Twist got a chance to ask Kim Zmeskal-Burdette about her career as a gymnast, a coach, and what’s in store for the future.

In 1991, you became the first American to the win the All Around title at the World Championships. What was that experience like and how did it change your life?
Winning the All Around title in '91 was a defining moment in my life.  After scoring a 10.0 on vault in my last event during the team competition and getting to stand on the podium with my friends/ teammates for our silver medal WIN, I was very confident and ready for the All Around Final.  The competition was on a Friday the 13th which was also Bela's birthday… irrelevant details, but certainly makes this date stand out in my mind even more.  I started the competition on vault and tried my best to not know the standings throughout but I couldn't help but look at the large score board between each event. I competed on floor last, which was my favorite event to compete.  I remember the energy in the arena for that routine more than any other in my career.  It felt like the most effortless, fun routine I had competed!  I couldn't even hear my music from the cheers from the crowd after my final pass.  I remember running off the podium to Bela who lifted me up for me to wave to the spectators.  That moment is one of the most vivid and special moments of my career!  Although I didn't know the score yet, in that moment, I felt that I had won.  Before walking out for the awards ceremony, my teammate Hilary Grivich just shook me saying, "You just won the World Championships!" repeatedly. This day in my life has actually become more special as time has passed.  Over the years, watching how many truly talented and hardworking gymnasts there are throughout the world, I realize how many details had to go just right for me to get to experience this moment and allow me this title.  As a coach working with gymnasts who aspire to represent the USA, I am reminded how amazing the process was to achieve that goal.  

Photo Credit: Mike Conroy

Looking back at your gymnastics career, is there anything you wish that you had accomplished before getting injured?

Yes, there were goals unreached during my athletic career.  Going into the Olympics as the reigning all around, beam and floor champion and then having the highest score in the qualifying optional round, I certainly hoped to leave Barcelona with individual medals.  But I have contentment in knowing that I truly "played my game" with the hand I was dealt at that moment.  I am fulfilled in the fact that I made the attempt to achieve every goal I imagined.  I don't have any "what could've happened" feelings.  I know there are no set outcomes for anyone in any sport or any aspect of life, regardless to the effort put in to reach our goals.  I have certainly learned to appreciate the process and the journey.  I think the fact that I always wanted more was how I achieved what I did.  That feeling of wanting more in gymnastics is still in me.  

What have been your proudest moments, as both a gymnast and a coach?

I have two proudest moments as a gymnast.  Although I am grateful and proud of winning the all around title in '91, being able to dig down deep to get myself out of the hole I'd put myself in after falling in compulsories on my first event to qualify to all around finals with the highest optional score is one of my most proud moments.  The other most proud moment that I have is making the National Team in 1999.  It was a personal struggle for me to have the courage to compete.  I shied away from competition for several years afraid to not be battling for first place since that is how I left the competition scene 7 years prior.  It felt so amazing to be prepared and compete on that stage again!

As a coach, having Chelsea Davis make the bar and floor line-up at 2010 Worlds was incredibly rewarding.  She fought and never gave up through more obstacles than seems fair.  Besides being very happy for and proud of her, it was my first experience being on the floor at a World Championships as a coach too.  


Photo Credit: Kim Zmeskal


One of Texas Dreams’ former gymnasts Lloimincia Hall has been getting a lot of recognition recently for showing her personality in her floor routine. How do you think that her contributions to the NCAA scene will affect how routines are choreographed in the future? 

Lloimincia is the best of the best performers!  She always strives to make her performances memorable.  It is not necessarily the steps in her choreography that make the difference in my opinion.  No one could or should try to be what she is.  Every gymnast should strive to be memorable and entertaining to showcase their strengths.  


Do you have any up and coming gymnasts who are not yet elite that you think have potential?

Yes, we currently coach a few young optional gymnasts who train alongside our elites. There are also some very promising younger, beginning level gymnasts who it will be interesting to see where their paths take them.  It is great that there is no wondering what it takes to compete at the elite level for all these girls.  They see it in front of them each day.  And in some areas, they lead our current elites.  That is the beauty of training with a very driven team, each one has strengths that keep the others striving to compete with even in training.  

What are some qualities do you think an elite gymnast and coach need to have in order to be successful together? Have you learned any do’s or don’ts along the way?

I've learned and continue to learn do's and don'ts.  It is a never-ending learning process because times change, rules change, and most importantly, every gymnast and situation are unique.  There are certainly some absolute do's and don'ts I believe are essential.  Honest communication and trust between athlete and coach are number one.  Discipline in preparation on both parties is essential too.  The coach has to have a game plan and the gymnast must be on board with the plan and take ownership of things she is being guided to do.  And DO enjoy the process together.  One "don't" that comes to mind… Don't over-react.  Bad days will happen.  Missed skills and opportunities will happen.  Both the gymnast and coach need to solution minded.  


What can we expect to see from the Dream Team at Classics and Nationals this year? Do you or your athletes have any specific goals you can share with us?

As a whole, the game plan includes increasing difficulty, improving execution and confidence of current skills, and growing as an artistic performer.  Making the National Team is obviously a goal for each of them.  For our seniors, being a part of the World Selection procedure is also a goal.  We're happy that Peyton finally has had a chance to get her feet wet internationally and hope she continues to grow through higher international success.  Bailie has moved up in ranking each season and has her sights on continuing that.  As for an event goal, I've been impressed with skill development for the girls on bars in particular.  The question will be timing of when skills will be competitively ready to do well and with confidence.  With execution deductions being taken so severely, skills must be done with great precision in order for the gamble to benefit their scores.  We are hoping to see more "hindorf" family releases in many of our girls routines. 


Photo Credit: Scott and Emer Hults


What have you learned from your career as a gymnast that has helped you become a better coach?

I hope I never forget what it felt like from an athlete's perspective… physically, mentally and emotionally.  When I coach, I typically imagine putting my body through the movements my gymnasts are doing to "feel" what should change to make skills better. Mentally and emotionally, I can still connect with what it felt like in their shoes.  


You are known for being one of the best elite coaches in the USA. What does that mean to you? Did you ever imagine that one day you would be coaching some of the top elite gymnasts in the country?

It is an honor to hear that stated. I have so much respect for the very top coaches in the world and am motivated each day to play at that level with them.  I've learned and continue to learn so much for those around me as well as experiences that have been put in front of me and my gymnasts.  It had not been a goal of mine to pursue coaching until I had an opportunity to coach while we lived in Cincinnati.  Mary Lee gave me both the opportunity to coach alongside her at the elite level as well as to test the waters coaching with Chris and his TOPs group when I was in my early 20's.  I instantly felt a passion for this side of the sport.  It has been amazing to me how much more there was to the game I thought I knew so well before I started coaching.  As for coaching the number of elites we do now, I am very thankful for the opportunity to shape and guide these girls' lives through the sport we all love.


Screenshot from Gymnastike's Workout Wednesday 


In London, the Fierce Five won the Team Gold medal, inspiring the entire nation, and undoubtedly many young gymnasts. What kind of advice would you give to young gymnasts and athletes who now share the Olympic dream?  

On the wall at Texas Dreams, we have the saying, "Have a dream so big you could never achieve it, then become the gymnast who can."  That 's what it's all about to me.  The journey, the process, the life we live pursuing our dreams.  Then when the moments come when we have a shot at reaching our dreams, truly LIVE those moments.  Be present.  Be aggressive.  Be confident.  Have no regrets.  
Do you have anything to add that I haven’t asked? 

I just want to thank the gymnastics community around the world for continuing to make our sport develop while appreciating the contributions of past participants.  With the ever-growing interest in social media, I look forward to the darling sport of the Olympics to reach more people throughout each quad!


Triple Twist would like to thank Kim Zmeskal-Burdette for her time. We, along with many members of the gymnastics community, undoubtedly have a high regard for her as both a coach and gymnast, and are excited to see what the future holds in store for her, her gymnasts, and her family. We wish her the best of luck this year, and hope to see her at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, alongside the USA team.  

Interview done by: Patrice Vandenbos

Watch Kim’s 1991 All Around Floor Routine here: 
                   

6 comments: