Monday, February 20, 2012

Elite Gymnastics vs. College

When a gymnast retires from elite gymnastics, the next step in her career is college gymnastics. Elite and college gymnastics are two totally different worlds and the transition differs from gymnast to gymnast. We asked some former elite gymnasts who went on to compete in college: What are the similarites and differences between college and elite? And which experience do you prefer? 


Corrie Lothrop

(Photo Credit:  Leslie Foster and Gymnastike)

Elite for 4 years-2008 Olympic Team Alternate
Sophomore at Utah- 2 Time All American as a Freshman

"Some similarities are that there is always pressure and you have to be very consistent. Some differences are that big skills are rewarded in elite, but in college, everyone starts from a 10.0 so if you throw big skills that are sloppy compared to a clean basic routine, it's more likely that the easy routine will score higher."


"I love the team feel of college gymnastics. For the most part, you are always by yourself in elite until you get to international competitions. College gymnastics is such a fun experience and it is definitely worth it for former elite gymnasts to go to after their elite career because it is such a different feel. I love the fan support. Also, by the time you're at college level, you do gymnastics because you love it and everything counts for the team."

Cassie Whitcomb
(Photo Credit: Lynn Moore and Cassie Whitcomb)

Elite for 5 years- 2nd on bars at the 2010 Visa Championships
Freshman at UCLA


"The elite world and college world are very different but there are some similarities. One for example is knowing that your team is counting on you. Although the elite scene may seem very individualized, when you get to the international competition zone, it is very much a team competition. The main difference would be the difference in the level of pressure you feel. When your at a college competition the atmosphere is much more relaxed with a feeling of fun and excitement. The energizing sound of your teammates cheering you on gives you that little adrenaline rush and helps you perform that much better."


"It is hard to choose my favorite experience so far since there have been so many memories made with both elite and college. In college I would have to say Pre-season was one of my favorites. Our normal team bonding trip to Woodward was cut short due to some wild fires. We all adapted well and had an amazing "Woodward in Westwood" that made the team bond better than ever. Another favorite moment of mine is the team traveling. So many different experiences and memories made in one trip. Those memories are ones that I will cherish forever."

Gael Mackie
(Photo Credit: Leslie Foster and Heather Maynez)

Elite for 6 years- 2004 Canadian Olympic Team Member
Graduated from the University of Utah in 2010

"Both Elite and College are intense and competitive. But in NCAA there is more of an emphasis on competing as a team, performing and having fun."

"It's hard to say which experience I liked better because they are both so different, but I think I liked college better! I feel like I was a different gymnast in elite than I was in NCAA. Part of what made college gymnastics fun was that I was a little bit older and more mature. With that being said, I think the experience of competitng elite contributed to my enjoyment of competing in the NCAA."

Hollie Vise
(Photo Credit: Donald Miralle and Inside Gymnastics)

Elite for 6 years-2003 World Team & Uneven Bar Gold Medalist
Graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2010- 2nd on bars and floor at the 2010 NCAA's

"College and Elite are two totally different worlds. College focus's more on the team aspect and it's not as intense. With elite, everybody dreams of the Olympics and Worlds. But the Olympics aren't everything. The atmosphere in college is way more relaxed and fun. I felt alot more self pride and like I could enjoy myself. But I have great memories from both."

"I wouldn't say I enjoyed one experience more or less than the other. College was more of an accomplishment, more of a proud feeling for me, because I did have to come back and challenge myself to get back into shape. In college I was more mature and I was able to realize how special all those moments were. With elite I had a diffrent outlook on things and I was just going to the gym everyday and doing what I had to do. I will always remember winning worlds in 2003 because I accomplished one of my major goals and I felt so proud to come out on top agaisnt the rest of the world. It was unnreal. In college I will always remember being in the Super Six. To be able to make history with my team was just an unbelieveable feeling. I didn't want it to end!"


Kayla Hoffman
(Photo Credit: Erica Machel and Flickr)

Elite for 3 years- 2nd all around and 1st on floor at the 2006 Moscow Cup
Graduated from the University of Alabama in 2011- 5 Time All American

"They are similar because in each you are striving for excellence and constantly pushing the envelope and trying to keep up with where the sport is going in both elite and college. I think a big difference is the scoring system and what it represents as a competitive philosophy. The elite system thrives on a scoring system with no ceiling. The college system still uses the 'perfect 10' system and the thought of reaching perfection. Also, I think college gymnastics is much more team oriented and it feels more like a relay that a single routine. Another difference is that in college you compete every weekend with the same teammates and develop strong bonds with those teammates."

"I definitely enjoyed college the most and enjoyed being a part of a team that worked together and got to compete together every weekend."


Oliva Courtney
(Photo Credit: USA Gymnastics and Bill Weymouth)

Elite for 5 years-2009 Covergirl Classic Champion
Freshman at UCLA- PAC 10 Freshman of the Year

"I would say that a similarity between competing in college and elite is striving for the consistency and perfection. The first thing that comes to my mind is a cast handstand on bars. I was taught in elite that one of the most important parts in a bar routine is your cast handstand. Its the part that the judges can take the most deductions. It's the same in college. If your not "perfect" the judges will take deductions! The difference between the two is that elite is mainly focused as an individual. Even in team competitions your main focus is on yourself and hitting your routine. In college, I've realized it's all about the team. And to become successful in the college world of gymnastics you need to build a bond with each individual on your team like you would with your family."

"I would say all my favorite experience's have come from my college career! I like being able to travel to different places to compete. I love it because it always feels like a mini vacation that I get to take with my teammates. We play games, hang out with each other, and get to explore the town we are staying in."

Read our other question posts:

What are you thinking during your routine?

How do you balance elite gymnastics, school, and have fun?

What's the hardest skill in gymnastics?

What's in your gym bag?

What goes into making a floor routine?


Have a question that you'd like to see answered in our next segment? Shoot us an email through our contact page!


1 comment: