Friday, February 3, 2012

Quick Chat with the 2011 JO National Champion Bayle Pickel

15 year old Bayle Pickel is one to watch out for in the upcoming year. She is a level 10 gymnast who trains at Gedderts Twistars in Dimondale, Michigan. She is the current JO National Champion (Junior B) and has higher hopes for this season. We caught up with Bayle to talk about her experience at Nationals, training, and her hopes for turning elite this season! 

(Photo Credit: Gedderts Twistars)

Triple Twist: How did you get started in gymnastics?

Bayle: I started gymnastics when I was four years old in a mommy and me class with my mom as my coach.  My mom was a gymnast herself who went to Ohio State University. Having done gymnastics before, she probably thought that it would be fun to put me in a little baby class.  

Triple Twist: How did you feel when you found out that you were the  JO National Champion?

Bayle: I was kind of surprised at first. I didn't think that I was going to place in the top 3, so when they called my name I was shocked. When I took a second to realize what was happening, it was so exciting. Knowing that all the hard work at the gym has paid off is one of the greatest feelings. 

Triple Twist: What is it like training along side Jordyn Wieber?

Bayle: Training along side Jordyn is such a cool thing. She's a great gymnast with a positive mind set inside and outside of the gym. Training with her keeps you positive and makes you want to work even harder. It's not like Jordyn only competes well, she practices well also. She comes into the gym knowing what she needs to accomplish each and every day. She is very willing and determined to learn new things. 

Triple Twist: What is John Geddert like as a coach?

Bayle: John is a great coach with high standards. He knows how to help you when something is wrong and he knows how to push you to your full potential. He always makes an effort to push us to our best. He knows so much about gymnastics and has achieved many big life goals in his over 30 years of coaching. A few things he has accomplished as a coach are; having a world champion, being inducted into the hall of fame, elite coach of the year award, many region 5 awards, and many great elites! His wife Kathryn is also my beam and floor coach. She is like our mom in the gym. 

Triple Twist: Have you ever considered going elite? Do you plan on it?

Bayle: I am planning on going elite this year. I have wanted to try and do elite since I was a level 8. I am very excited to finally know that I am going to be able to be out there with the big girls. It is very exciting. 

Triple Twist: Are you training any new skills for this season? 

Bayle: I have added at least one new skill on every event. This year for vault I am upgrading to a yurchenko full. I am also working on a yurchenko half-on front pike with a half twist and a yurchenko 1 1/2 is another goal. Last year I competed a layout half. On bars, I have added a toe shoot tkachev. I am hoping to get my laidout full-in dismount into my bar routine closer to the end of the year. On beam, I have added a switch side half, a side ariel, a switch ring, a switch leap half. a front tuck, and a full turn with my leg up. Although, I have not competed them yet. On floor I am opening up with a double front tuck into a split jump! I have also added a 2 1/2 twist to a punch front. 

Triple Twist: What are your goals for this season?

Bayle: I am training to test elite soon. My goals are to make it to Classics and the Visa Championships. 

Triple Twist: Are you interested in doing college gymnastics?

Bayle: I am interested in several colleges, I have narrowed it down to about six. I am excited for when I will be able to compete for a college. 

Triple Twist: What do you like to do in your free time?

Bayle: In my spare time I like to hang out with my school friends. I am home schooled now, so I don't get to see them very much. We like to go to movies, dinner, or hang out at the mall. I love shopping and spending time with my family and pets. My family is always so supportive of my gymnastics. I have two little cousins that mean the world to me. I like hanging out with them on my day off. 

Triple Twist: What is the best advice you have ever been given? What advice would you give to a young gymnast?

Bayle: Some advice I have been given is to follow your dreams and do what you know is right. Believe in yourself, even in the hardest of times. Some advice I would give to young gymnasts is to train hard, strive to work harder then everyone else, and don't cheat on any of your assignments, because in the long run it will make you a better gymnast. If your going through a hard time remember that your coach is there for you and will not let you do something if they didn't believe you could do it. Have faith in what you do and always believe in yourself! 

(Photo Credit: USA Gymnastics)

Follow Bayle on Twitter

You can watch some of Bayle's competitions here on Gymnastike

*Bayle passed her elite compulsory with a score of 37.325 on February 16th, 2012*


No comments:

Post a Comment