Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Romanian Gymnast Irina Paun- A Career Short Lived

Every young gymnast dreams of someday making it to the Olympics and winning gold. But for 13 year old Irina Paun of Romania, this dream was not to be. In the 3 short years that she competed as an elite (2009-2011) she proved to be a star. Irina is the 2010 Junior All Around National Champion as well as the 2010 Elite Massilia Beam Champion. In 2011 Irina placed 7th All Around at the Nadia Comaneci Invitational and 3rd on Balance Beam at the Bumbo Cup (right behind Katelyn Ohashi and Mckenzie Wofford). In late 2011 Irina was forced to retire from the sport due to a non-gymnastics related injury. We caught up with Irina to talk about training in Romania, her retirement, and how she thinks Romania will do without their star Ana Porgras.


(Photo Credit: Stefan Wurzer)


Triple Twist: How did you get started in gymnastics?

Irina: I started gymnastics at 4 years old. I started because I visited a gym called Steaua in Bucharest and I liked the activity of gymnastics.

Triple Twist: You retired from gymnastics in 2011, why?

Irina: I have some problems in my spine. I've had this problem since birth and I didn't know of it until last year. It wasn't possible for me to do gymnastics anymore.

Triple Twist: Do you miss gymnastics?

Irina: Yes!

Triple Twist: How do you plan on staying involved with the sport?

Irina: I still go to all of the Romanian National Championships and read news about International competitions. I speak every week with my coaches and gym friends. I'd like to coach someday.

Triple Twist: Speaking of retirement, how do you feel about Ana Porgras calling it quits?

Irina: I have not asked Ana about this. Probably alot of injuries are the cause of her retirement. She was a great gymnast.

Triple Twist: How do you think this will affect the Romanian team at the Olympics?

Irina: I don't know! I'm not Mariana Bitang ;)  We have Larissa Iordache, Sandra Izbasa, Catalina Ponar, Diana Bulmar, and Diana Chelaru. We are ok!

Triple Twist: Who are your role models?

Irina: My role models are Nadia Comaneci, Sandra Izbasa, and my coaches.

Triple Twist: Who are your coaches? 

Irina: All of my coaches were gymnasts. At Steaua I trained with Elena Ceampelea who was famous before Nadia Comaneci! Eliza Stoica, Angela Cacovean, Gheorghe Neagu, and Mariana Ristea who was a ballerina and is now the Olympic team choreographer. At the National Junior Team in Deva I trained with Lacramioara Filip (now Moldovan), Cristian Moldovan who is a three time aerobic world champion, Adela Popa, Ramona Micu, Alexandru Militaru, Gheorghe Orban and my choreographer Corina Dorean. I have had lots of coaches!

Triple Twist: What was training like and how did you stay motivated when times got tough? 

Irina: I wanted to be the best and for me, training was never difficult or boring. Gymnastics has always been my life and it still is.

Triple Twist: How many hour's did you train a day?

Irina: During my first 2 years of  training I only went 2 days a week for 4 hours. After another 2 years, I trained everyday for 4 hours. Up until my retirement I trained for 6 hours a day 6 days a week. 

Triple Twist: What was a typical day like for you?

Irina: I would wake up at 6:30 and have breackfast at 7:00.
 From 8:00 -11:00 we train and then have lunch at 12:00. We get to rest from 12:30-1:30 and then we have our second training from 2:00-5:00. At 5:00-7:00 I do my school work and have some dinner at 7:30! After all that is done I go back to the room to shower, relax , and watch TV! My favorite show is Make It Or Break It and the Voice!

Triple Twist: While training, did you live at home with your parents? 

Irina: Once I made the National Team, I lived in Deva with my teammates and coaches, Lacramioara  Moldovan and Christian Moldovan. When I was at my club Steaua, I stayed with my parents in Bucharest. 

Triple Twist: Who are some of your close friends and what did you guy's do when you weren't in the gym?  

Irina: When I got on the Junior National Team, many of the girls that are now in the Olympic group became my friends, like Diana Bulimar and Larissa Iordache. We liked to do puzzles and lots of other things. We loved to dance at the gym before training, it was great! On the weekends we like to go in the city (Deva) to go shopping. 


Triple Twist: As a national team member, did you have a strict diet to follow?

Irina: I can not say it was a strict diet, but we were not allowed to even eat anything we wanted! Only when we went into town, we could eat what we wanted to eat, but in moderation!


Triple Twist: Out of all the country's you have traveled to, which one is your favorite? 

Irina: I was in America last year. In America, everything is bigger and there is a lot of distance between the cities. But I like Romania because I stay with my family and I have friends here. 


Triple Twist: Where do you think Romanian gymnastics stands against other country's from around the world?

Irina: You can't really compare Romanian gymnastics to other country's because we have far less kids coming into the gym. It's not as popular of a sport. But we are good.

Triple Twist: Have you ever had an embarrassing moment during competition? 

Irina: When I presented to the judges in Massilia, I hit Aurelie Malaussena from France in the face with my arm. 

Triple Twist: Do you have any good luck charms?

Irina: No, I don't really have any special good luck charms. But I liked to put a cross on my jacket since I am  Christian and Iisus. 

Triple Twist: What would you consider your biggest accomplishment to be? 

Irina: My biggest accomplishment  is 1st place on beam at the 2010 Elite Gym Massilia. Also 1st place all around at the 2010 Romanian Nationals. 

Triple Twist: What is the best advice you have ever been given?

Irina: I don't know because all of the advice is good! All of it makes me feel great. If I had a problem with something I knew I could count on Lacramioara and Moldovan. I usually talked to them when I needed advice.


Triple Twist: How has your life changed without gymnastics?

Irina: I realize that the time has gone so fast. All I had wanted was shattered, and I'm sorry that I did not know to appreciate those last moments. I'd give anything to do gymnastics longer, but living with the pain is not worth it. Unfortunately, it was not to be.

(Photo belongs to Irina Paun)

Watch Irina in action on beam at the 2010 Elite Massilia

Irina on floor at the 2011 Nadia Comaneci Invitational (this was her last International meet as an elite gymnast)






8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really wonderful when school are encouraging such activities and it helps the child to their over all development.
    Independent Schools

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Nice website. I just finished mine and i was looking for some ideas and your website gave me some.

    career training

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow i wish i could be really good at something remarkable like u are! you must miss gymnastics, but think of it like a hallway. one door is closed, so u move on to the next. :)

    ReplyDelete