Thursday, June 6, 2013

Like mother, like daughter. Interview with Brandy Johnson and Sydney Johnson Scharpf

A star in USA Gymnastics history, Brandy Johnson was a force to be reckoned with in the late 80's. As a  junior, Brandy proved to be one to watch when she won the National Championships and received her first international assignment. (She ended up placing 12th.) Brandy went on to compete in the Olympic Trials where she placed 4th and made the 1988 Olympic team. At the Olympics, Brandy placed 10th in the all around which was the highest all around placement of any other American. She also qualified to the vault event finals where she placed 5th. After the games, Brandy decided to continue with gymnastics and had a stand out year. She swept the 1989 National Championships, winning the all around title and 3 of the 4 events. At the World Championships, she helped team USA place 4th, along with placing 7th in the all around and second on vault. Brandy was the only American to win a medal at these world championships and her all around placement was at the time, the highest an American gymnast had ever placed at Worlds. At the Cottbus Cup that year, Brandy won an outstanding 5 gold medals!  In 1990, Brandy placed 3rd all around at the National Championships while taking home 2 event golds. Brandy also won the Olympic Festival meet and ended her career at 1990 World Cup where she placed 5th all around. Today Brandy resides in Florida where she owns her own gym called 'Brandy Johnsons Global' which is home to former national team member Morgan Smith and currently home to several elite level gymnasts including Alexis Beucler, Aja Monet Sims, and Brandy's own daughter Sydney, who is an up coming elite gymnast hoping to follow her her mother's footsteps. We talked to Brandy and Sydney about their future plans. 

Brandy Johnson

You had quite the career as a gymnast, what would you say was your most memorable moment?
Making the Olympic team of course! Standing on the podium getting ready to start and seeing all the American flags waving. That is when it hit me that I had reached my goal! Also, competing at the Cottbus Cup in 1989. I won 5 gold medals!

You trained under Bela Karolyi, what was he like as a coach?
Bela was a great coach! He taught me that I could work harder then I thought I could.

Being a former gymnast yourself, do you think your experiences as a gymnast make it easier for you to coach? 
Yes, I think being a former gymnast does give you an advantage in coaching. Going through the challenges of learning a new skill or fear of something, your own experiences can really help an athlete that is struggling.  

What is it like coaching your own daughter? 
Coaching my child is wonderful and difficult at the same time. Balance is the key and it is very hard to keep. We are very close and she reacts when I do, so I always have to remember that. I love coaching her and watching her grow in the best sport ever! Whatever the outcome of her gymnastics career, I know she will become a strong, disciplined, person who knows how to work through fears, overcome challenges, and set goals.

What are Sydney's plans as far as elite?
Sydney is on the elite track, she is trying for junior elite this year. The Nastia Cup was the turning point for her decision to stop the JO program and focus on elite. She really enjoyed performing on a podium and loves the developmental camps at the ranch!

What is Sydney's ultimate goal for this season?
For this year, our goal is to get her to Championships, compete, and be clean. Sydney also has to upgrade her vault and bars.

Aside from Sydney, do you have any other promising gymnasts we should look out for?
We have many strong athletes coming up. Some of them are on the elite track, some not. All of their goals are different, our goal is to help them reach it.

Did you ever imagine that one day you would own a gym that has some of the top level 10 and elite athletes coming out of it?  
It's a dream come true to have top level 10's and elites coming out of our gym. It has always been a goal to be one of the top gyms in the country. It was easier when I was a gymnast, rather then being a gym owner, but all the challenges you have as an athlete build your character and help you later in life. My gyms success comes from a team of great people, mostly my mom and former teammate Kelly Pitzen. They have been with me from the beginning, working hard and helping every step of the way!

Sydney Johnson Scharpf
Photo Credit: John Cheng

You are starting to become known for your style and presentation on the floor, have you had any formal dance lessons?
I have always loved to dance, even as a baby! My mom would put on music of all kinds and I'd dance around the house for hours. I took a few dance classes as a little girl, but no real formal classes. I have always wanted to try ballroom dancing! We have some dance training at the gym, working mostly on expression and ballet.

This was your first year as a level 10, can you walk us through your season? What were some of the high and low points?
I was excited starting out the year as a first year level 10. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was ready for it.  My high points this season were winning all the invitationals and qualifying to the Nastia Cup. I was also invited to some developmental camps and started my journey to becoming an elite. My low points were dealing with a stomach issue early in the season and trying to figure out if I had a gluten allergy. Eliminating certain foods made my energy level low. I also lost my great granny this past April and it was very hard on my whole family.

What's it like having your mom, who is an Olympian, as you coach? Does that motivate you at all? 
I love having my mom as a coach. She gives me great advice in everything that I do! She motivates me to be just like her!

If you could have the career of any gymnast who would you choose?
That's a tough one! There are so many great gymnasts with great careers. I haven't researched them so I'm not quite sure. Nastia is definitely one of my favorites! I got to know her a little better at the Nastia Cup and it was really cool.

What do you like to do when you are not in the gym?
When I'm not in the gym, I like to drive my yellow golf chart that I call duckie. I like to make things out of duct tape and other crafts! I like to draw, paint, design clothes, and listen to music and dance! I also love doing science experiments with my chemistry set. And when there is a little bit of time on the weekends, I like to go shopping with my mimi. (Grandma)

What are some of your future goals? 
I want to qualify elite and make it to Championships this year! I would like to be on the national team and maybe get an international assignment. I would also like to make it to the Olympics one day. Hopefully Rio!

           

4 comments: