Saturday, October 12, 2013

Quick Chat with Junior National Champion- Bailie Key

 At the age of 14, Montgomery native Bailie Key is already poised to take the gymnastics world by storm! Bailie burst onto the elite scene in 2011 as Kim Zmeskal's latest protege. She placed 9th All Around at her first national championships and improved her ranking to 4rd All Around the very next year. However, 2013 was Bailie's breakout year as she went undefeated in every all around competition this season.We caught up with the junior national champion about her thoughts on this season, as well as future plans!

Photo Credit: Unknown



You have been undefeated in the all around this year including your big win at the P&G National Championships. How does that feel and what do you think attributed to your success this year?  

It feels great, but it also motivates me to work even harder. Since this was my third championships, I felt like I knew what was going on around me. All I had to do was go in there and do my gymnastics!

How do you stay motivated after winning every title this year? 

Winning the all around title helps me stay motivated because I know for a fact that the other girls are at their gyms working just as hard because they want to be on that first place podium also.

At the Secret Classic this year you almost didn't compete because you were sick. You ended up going for it and won the meet. What's the story behind  that? 

I was just kind of out of it and wasn't being the Bailie Key I knew I was. The day of the competition I just pulled myself together and decided to compete because I knew I wasn't going to sit on the sidelines and watch the others compete.

You recently competed at the Junior Japan International, what was Japan like?

I loved Japan! Everybody was so nice and helpful there! Before we would compete our routines, everybody in the stands would say "seyho!" I guess it means like "come on" or "you can do it!" I just thought it was nice.

Photo Credit: Kim Zmeskal


Can you talk a little bit about moving away from home to train at Texas Dreams and what that is like? 

At my old gym our elite program had canceled and I was wanting to go the elite route. We found Texas Dreams and it has been great ever since! I still get to see my family, I either go home on the weekends or they come up to Coppell on the weekends.

What is it like training at a gym with a bunch of other elite gymnasts? 

It's very nice because we push each other to get better everyday. We have a great time and we are always there for each other.

Photo Credit: Gym Style


Who is your role model in gymnastics? 

I have always looked up to Shawn Johnson. Ever since I was little, I always watched her gymnastics and looked up to her.

What is one thing that not many people know about you? 

One thing that many people do not know about me is that I'm very OCD! My room is always clean and organized and I get so mad when someone rearranges it and messed up my stuff.

If you could compete any skill what would it be? What is your dream skill?

I'm not really sure what my dream skills to compete would be. I guess whichever cool skill comes first!

What are some of your goals for next year?

One of my big goals is to improve on bars, get my difficulty raised, and get more skills on the other events also so I can raise my difficulty.

Can you share with us some of your upgrades? 

I have been working some upgrades on all of the events. I'm most excited about my ricina and pac on bars!


                 

Thanks for talking with us Bailie! We wish you the best of luck in the future! 


6 comments: