Friday, March 20, 2015

Our favorite NCAA floor routines from 2015

Photo belongs to GymShark

Lloimincia Hall- LSU
I couldn't think of a better way to kick off this post then with the one and only Lloimincia Hall. For the last four years Lloimincia has taken the gymnastics world by storm with her powerful tumbling and equally explosive dance. I have never seen anyone perform the way she does and be able to get a crowd of 5,000+ fans on their feet at every meet. Heck, her routine is even a hit at away meets! The floor is truly Lloimincia's stage. The amount of energy and passion Hall puts into every movement is what makes her stand out. After watching so many cookie-cutter routines where the gymnast just goes through the motions, it's refreshing to see someone make it a point to actually perform and sell her routine. As gymnastics fans I'm sure that's something we can all appreciate. Llomincia loves what she's doing and to me- there is nothing more beautiful then that. While I'm going to miss watching Llomincia on floor next season, I'm so thankful for all the fun times she has brought to the world of NCAA gymnastics. Her floor routines have always been a highlight for me year after year! I know I'm not the only person who got a little teary eyed after watching her routine on senior night. In my opinion, Lloimincia's floor work is something that will remain legendary in our sport.



Sophina DeJesus- UCLA
Her nickname is "Sophina The Diva" and that's certainly no surprise after watching her take the floor! Sophina has a level of sass that is almost untouchable. She performs confidently and with purpose which is what sets her apart on this event. It also helps that she has a natural rhythm and performance quality...after all she has been performing on TV since she was a young girl. (Hip Hop Harry). UCLA is known for their unique, crowd pleasing choreography and I will be the first to admit that I fell in love with this routine from the moment I saw it. I had a huge smile on my face the entire time and from the video you can even see the crowd was loving it! When a routine can get that kind of reaction from the people in the audience you know you must be doing something right! Sophina is so fierce and I hope to see her in UCLA's floor lineup more next season because she is truly a star!



Kate Aberger- Southern Connecticut State University 
I was always a big fan of Kate during her competitive dance days and it's been really cool to watch her transition into collegiate gymnastics. I always knew her as a dancer on YouTube and didn't even realize she was going to be a college gymnast until last year! I was only able to find one video of Kate performing her routine in competition and it wasn't the best quality, so here is a dance through she did at the beginning of the season! I really like this routine! Kate's dance training is certainly evident and she performs with such confidence and ease! She has excellent posture and pays attention to small details, which in my opinion, makes a huge difference. The choreography is sharp, upbeat and fun for the crowd to clap along to! I look forward to seeing more from Kate in the future as she is only a freshman.



Talia Chiarelli- Michigan
We literally go to every home meet at Michigan and this has been one of my favorite routines to watch week in and week out! It's an upbeat routine and Talia really seems to enjoy it. The beat of the music is easy for fans to clap along with and Talia does a good job of making her routine interactive and fun. I think my favorite part has to be after her second pass when she shoots her teammates and they all fall to the ground! I remember laughing the first time I saw that because it was kinda unexpected, but totally awesome at the same time. Definitely a fun routine to watch in person!





Chayse Chapps- Oklahoma
I LOVE this routine. Absolutely brilliant choreography. Chayse Chapps is undoubtedly one of the greatest performers in the NCAA currently. When it comes to making eye contact with the judges and really drawing the crowd in I don't think you could find anyone who does it better. Chayse also has excellent musicality- hitting every single beat and interpreting the music well. It's refreshing to see someone actually dance to the music and not just pose! Props to Chayse for bringing a beautiful performance week after week!




Kytra Hunter- Florida
This routine is a lot of fun! In the past, Kytra has always been a little mechanical in her movements and kinda just went through the motions. It's been great to see her loosen up a bit and really work on her showmanship this year. I remember hearing her say when she was an elite that she hated dancing on floor. Now she looks relaxed out there and like she's truly enjoying herself. She has always been known for her dynamic tumbling and now she has the performance quality to back it up! Her smile just lights up the room! I'm going to miss watching Kytra on floor next season.



What have been your favorite floor routines from this season? Comment below or tweet us!

6 comments: