Friday, June 12, 2015

Melissa Doucette | Leaving The Sport With No Regrets

This past year Melissa Doucette, the 24 year old from New Hampshire embarked on a journey that not many women her age do. After graduating from the University of Bridgeport following the 2014 season, Doucette didn't hang up her grips like one would expect. For most gymnasts, college gymnastics is the end of their career, but for Melissa Doucette it was the start of something new. She went back to the gym; coaching full-time while continuing to train for the 2015 JO season. As a level 10, Melissa placed 2nd at the Texas Prime Meet and won two smaller invitationals, then she began training for elite for the first time in her career. In February, Melissa passed her elite compulsories on vault and floor and was proving to everyone that age was nothing more than a number. She moved to New Jersey to train at ENA Paramus- also home to junior elite Olivia Dunne, and was learning lots of new skills. Unfortunately, as the 2015 elite qualifying season came to a close, Melissa fell short of passing her elite optionals, but looks back on her career with a positive outlook and no regrets. After all, she attempted something that not many people her age can say they've done. We are excited to share our interview with Melissa as she reflects back on her gymnastics career and what lies ahead. 



How did you get started in gymnastics?
I got started in gymnastics at the age of four at Kelly's Gymnastics in Rochester, New Hampshire. I started gymnastics so that my parents could channel my energy in a positive atmosphere.

Growing up who was your idol in gymnastics? What about an idol later in your career? 
This has changed quite a bit throughout my journey as a gymnast. When I was younger I always liked Nastia's style because I struggled with the artistic side of gymnastics. I always wanted to be as graceful as she is! Now that I'm older, my role models tend to be the coaches and mentors I have. Being twenty four, I aspire to be a coach that will impact an athlete's journey just like my coaches did for me. The coaches I had the opportunity to work with taught me so much over the years that I can take with me for a lifetime and they are my true role models.

As a college gymnast, you started your career at the University of Alaska-Anchorage and then switched to the University of Bridgeport after your Sophomore year. Can you talk about competing for both of those schools and what inspired you to make that switch? 
Looking back, I am so grateful to have both those opportunities. I learned so much about myself during that time in my career. Signing the letter of intent with Alaska was the highlight of my life at that point. It was a lifetime goal I had as a gymnast to earn a Division 1 scholarship. Moving so far away from home taught me a lot of life lessons that I wouldn't have learned had I not gone so far away. After I completed my Sophomore year of college, I decided it was not the fit for me. I had surgery on my shoulder and decided that it was going to be a turning point for me. I wanted a program that my gymnastics could grow in and that was more competitive. Although the University of Bridgeport is Division 2, it is competitive with Division 1 schools and I loved that. The year I transferred, we made Division 1 regionals and we competed at the University of Florida. Having Byron Knox as my college coach was a huge influence on why I decided to continue the sport after I graduated college. I had a new passion for the sport and I knew I wasn't ready to be done even though my college eligibility ended.

When did the idea of elite cross your mind? 
Elite gymnastics was always in the back of my mind as a kid growing up in the sport. As I got older I had some injuries and decided that level 10 was a great avenue for my gymnastics and my goal of getting a college scholarship. I grew up at Atlantic Gymnastics in Portsmouth, New Hampshire and the coaches were great at helping me see the bigger picture within the sport. As I went to Alaska and I learned how to be independent, then went to Bridgeport and noticed I still wanted to continue, I knew I had all the ingredients I needed to be successful in the JO program again. It wasn't until Tammy Biggs came into my gym- Gymnastics at Brentwood Commons in Brentwood, New Hampshire, that I decided to train elite. On that day I was coaching. The numbers were down for the clinic and my boss said I could train. I was trying to make a video for Cirque at the time and was going to do level 10 to stay in shape. Tammy Biggs had asked my coach if we wanted to try elite, After about a month of basics and getting into elite shape, I decided to give it a go with no expectations. I knew that everything that I was about to embark on would be icing on the cake! I believe that you can have goals for yourself and work insanely hard without having any expectations, It was so liberating to go into gymnastics everyday knowing that I'm doing it for my love of the sport and nothing more. This mindset is what led me to become so successful.

Melissa and her teammates at Brentwood Commons


Can you talk about getting the opportunity to train with Kim Zmeskal at Texas Dreams? 
Yes! I was at the Texas Prime Meet with my club team, GBC. We happened to be in the same rotation and I mentioned I was going to be at the WOGA Classic later that season. I mentioned I was twenty four and my story is a bit unique- I was doing elite gymnastics for the first time. Kim told me that if I ever wanted her help or needed input to contact her. After the WOGA Classic, I had the privilege of staying in Texas to train with her! The experience was amazing! Not many people get such opportunities like I did along the way and this was one of the best times of my life. At the Texas Prime Meet I also qualified to the Legendz Classic. I was on Betty Okino's team. I loved being on her team and by the end of the meet we got to talking and we still keep in touch today! She is an Herbalife coach and helped me out every step of the way this past year with my nutrition, motivation and anything else I needed!

Melissa with the Texas Dream team! 


To help pursue your elite dream you moved to New Jersey to train at ENA Paramus alongside junior elite Olivia Dunne. How would you say the gym switch benefited you? 
As I started elite, I trained at the gym I had a full time job at. GBC was my family and a great support system! My coach Kristin Paradis always helped keep things fun in the gym, A big part of my training was also Ed Datti from the University of New Hampshire and Alli Brisson from Atlantic Gymnastics. I had a full time job, so I needed to fit training in when I could. These coaches were so important for shaping me into the athlete and person I am today. It was very difficult to make the switch to New Jersey, but I knew that it was what I needed to do in order to have more consistent training schedule. Right away I learned so many new skills! Working out with Olivia was amazing. We trained from about 11am-4pm on most days and she always pushed me to do my best! At this gym I learned how to become resilient when things got tough. I know I can handle anything that comes my way and that is a huge life skill to have! I am so fortunate to have had the opportunity to train at ENA.

What are some of the new skills you learned while on this elite journey? 
I was able to learn so many new skills! On vault I learned a yurchenko double. On bars I learned a pak, maloney, blind change full, toe handstand full, and many new combinations. On beam we played around with just about every skill but I ended up competing a front tuck, switch leap-switch half-back pike, and a double back dismount. On floor I learned a double arabian, front through to 2 1/2, full in, full twisting double layout, and a double double. I will always look back and remember the the exhilarating times in the sport when I learned a new skill for the first time. In gymnastics we always get caught up in the physical skills that a gymnast learns, but I learned so much mentally as well. Being resilient and having the courage to do something that not many people get to do is an amazing feeling and it is just as good as learning a new skill on an apparatus.

Melissa on top of the podium after placing first in elite optionals. 


You recently attended an elite qualifier at the National Team Training Center. How cool was that? 
As a little kid I always wanted to meet Martha and go to the Ranch. Now at twenty four years old I can check that off the bucket list! Being next to all the top level coaches and athletes was amazing. I couldn't believe that I was on the same competition floor as them. It was so intense and I loved that feeling! All in all I ended up getting second on floor with my new floor routine and that was a huge accomplishment for me. Leaving the ranch I felt so successful with everything that I did the past season. I starting out thinking that I would do level 10 to stay in shape and involved with the sport and I ended up qualifying out of elite compulsories and competing elite optionals at the national team training center- placing second on floor. nonetheless. Not only that, I met some amazing coaches that I learned a lot from and I can transfer that over to when I'm coaching.

Melissa at the Ranch!


Now that you've done it, how difficult would you say it is to go from college, back to level 10, and then to try elite? 
Going into this journey, I had the mindset that I everything I had the opportunity to do would be just that- an opportunity. I made sure to see everything as a privilege and it will shape the person I want to become. As I said, I didn't have any expectations because this helped me enjoy the sport and that was my ultimate goal this time around. It was very difficult, but every time the journey got hard I knew it was what I wanted.

How were things different this time around versus when you competed as a level 10 before you went to college? 
This time around it was very different. The first time around I believe I took what I had for granted. At Atlantic Gymnastics, I had the best coaches that always wanted the best for me and they still help me today. In the past it was hard for me to see this and it got in the way of becoming the best athlete I could be. Now that I'm older, I'm mentally stronger and I see the bigger picture like they helped me see when I was younger. I understand that the sport is only a part of my life, not my whole life, and being balanced is the best way to be successful.

Are you officially retired from the sport of gymnastics?
As for the JO program and elite gymnastics I am officially retired, although I never know what the future holds! I would love to get back on track with Cirque, and in the meantime be the best coach I can be for the athletes that walk into my life. I will never be completely done with the sport. I have too much love for the sport that gave me so many amazing things in my life.

Looking back what are you most proud of? 
At each point in my life gymnastics gave me something that I needed during that time. There is not one thing I'm most proud of. Every stepping stone on the journey has shaped me into the person I am at this moment and I can say that I have no regrets and I wouldn't even change the hardest of times.

What is the best piece of advice you've been given? 
"Let go of who you're suppose to be and embrace who you are one step at a time."

Somebody had mentioned this quote to me and I live by it! When I take the time to be patient and let things flow into place, things usually work out! This is also the best piece of advice I could give somebody. Work your butt off to be the best person you can be and you will never have any regrets!

What's next for you? 
Next for me is taking the time to find what I truly love, something that will take up the many hours of my life that used to be in the gym training. This can be relaxing or finding a new hobby that can fill the void that makes me the happiest each and every day!

4 comments: