Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Interview with "USA Today" reporter Nancy Armour

This is an interview that I conducted a few months ago for my Senior Project (basically a career research paper/presentation) with USA Today reporter Nancy Armour. My project was about the field of journalism and I wanted to post this interview because I know many of you are interested in the field of journalism just like me. I hope some of you find this helpful or interesting!



1. What got you interested in the field of journalism? 

Nancy: I had actually been admitted to an advanced business program at a college I thought I wanted to attend. But i’m really, really bad at math and my brother wisely told me I’d be making a huge mistake. When I said I didn’t know what to major in, he suggested I start in journalism; I’ve always enjoyed and been good at writing, and was on the school paper in high school. The more I learned about journalism and the more practical experience I had with reporting, the more I realized I’d found my niche.

2. How do you come up with ideas for stories to cover? 

Nancy: Some are ideas from editors and some are stories that are “givens” – like in the ramp-up to Sochi, writing about Meryl Davis and Charlie White trying to become the first U.S. ice dancers to win the Olympic title. But many stories I do simply because it’s a topic I find interesting or it’s something about which I want to know more. I figure if I’m curious about something, odds are some other people are, too. An example is, two years ago, I noticed people on Twitter asking celebrities and athletes for re-tweets. I found it curious, saw very little had been written about it and decided to do a story. It wound up getting great play.

3. How do you go about writing an article? What steps are involved? 

Nancy: It depends on what the story is. If it’s a breaking story or a story based on a news conference or event, you decide what’s most important and then write what you saw and/or heard. My general rule has always been: If I came home from an event, what would I say when my family asked what happened? If it’s a feature story or project, start by doing whatever research you need. It could be as simple as finding someone’s bio or the history of an event, or locating experts on the topic you’re covering. It also could be as involved as finding previous articles or books so you fully understand the subject about which you’re going to be writing. If you were to do a story on Russian President Vladimir Putin’s reaction to the political turmoil in Ukraine, for example, you couldn't do it without knowing his history (his reaction to Georgia’s independence) or the history of Ukraine and Russia. I don’t tend to be a person who makes outlines before writing a story. Once I come up with a lead (and some come easier than others), I just write. I have a general idea in my head of what I want to include and where I want the story to go, but mapping all of it out before I start writing has never worked for me. I’ll self-edit and revise after, of course. But every writer is different, and you have to find a process that works for you – and that your editor can tolerate.

4. What is the coolest thing you've got to experience through your job?

Nancy:The people I’ve met and the things I’ve seen. I am incredibly fortunate to do what I do. My job has taken me all over the world and given me a front-row seat to the best sporting events. I’ve met people from all walks of life, which has broadened my outlook on the world, and it’s a privilege to be able to share their stories. 

5. Is college necessary in order to land a job in this career path?

Nancy: College, yes. A journalism degree, no. Unfortunately, college has become a pre-requisite in many fields today and journalism is one of them. But some of the best reporters I’ve met had degrees in engineering or literature or philosophy. Don’t get me wrong. A journalism degree is great (I’m proud of mine and happy I have it) but if you realize this is your calling and you’re a semester from an accounting degree, don’t let that hold you back. 

6. What advice would you give to an aspiring journalist? 

Nancy: Be curious! About anything and everything. Read as much as you can, and not just newspapers and websites. Read books and magazines. Read about subjects you don’t care about or would ever want to cover. The best reporters are the ones with a thirst for knowledge, who always have one more question to ask. Get experience. It comes in all shapes and sizes these days, thanks to the Internet, and future employers will want to see what you’ve done (and what you can do) when you apply for jobs. Have something to show them. Have fun. This is one of the greatest jobs you can ever have, never lose sight of that.

6 comments:

  1. If this is your first book, consider writing a mini ebook to tease your audience. visit You can even write something that is non-related to your main book. Perhaps a money making ebook to give a head start for your fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I interviewed James Michener in 77, asking many of the same questions you asked Ms. Armour, he was stern about this: "Don't let your politics, personal beliefs, bias of any sort, or background experience stop you from giving the truth, not as you think you see it, but as it is. If you can't do this, if you don't know the truth, find another career." Personally, I feel your subject hasn't and can't do this.

    ReplyDelete