Sunday, April 8, 2012

10 Questions with Armenia's Houry Gebeshian

(Photo Credit: University of Iowa)


Houry Gebeshian was born on July 27, 1989 in Massachusetts. She got her start in gymnastics the way many young kids do and her dreams took her far! She competed on the University of Iowa gymnastics team along with competing for Armenia on the world stage. Last year was Houry's final year on the Iowa gymnastics team because her 4 years of eligibility were up. She has been dealing with some injury's as well, but that didn't stop her from doing what she loves! So even though her Olympic Dream might not come true (she is the 3rd reserve) Houry has impressed us all!

Triple Twist: How did you get started in gymnastics?

Houry:  I got started in gymnastics around age 5. I was a pretty energetic kid and my mom thought the sport of gymnastics may be a good way to tire me out. Once I started, I fell in love and I’ve continued with the sport ever since.

Triple Twist: What made you decide to compete for Armenia?

Houry: I decided to compete for Armenia when the opportunity arose. A family friend works for the Armenian Olympic Committee and suggested I give it a try, so I did!  It was a once in a life time opportunity to compete for my families country so I was honored to have even been given the opportunity.

Triple Twist: Is gymnastics a popular sport in Armenia? Were you the first gymnast to represent them at a World Championships?

Houry: Gymnastics is a popular male sport. It is starting to become more popular for women, which is why I think it was so important that I was able to represent Armenia. I think it was a way to encourage female athletics and independence in general. As for being the first Armenian gymnast, I was not. There were 3 male gymnasts at the 2011 World Championships competing with me.

Triple Twist: Do you train in the United States or in Armenia?

Houry: I did all my training in the United States. I trained for the World championships at the University of Iowa with coaches Linas Gaveika and Larissa Libby.

Triple Twist: You use to compete for the University of Iowa, what was that experience like?

Houry: Competing for The University of Iowa was the best 4 years of my life. The girls and coaches became my new family and every experience I had helped me grow as an individual and as an athlete. I was incredibly fortunate to have had coaches that supported my decision to continue gymnastics after my 4 years of eligibility were up as well as teammates who encouraged me to be the best I can be.

Triple Twist: What was it like competing at the World Championships along with some of the worlds best gymnasts?

Houry: Competing at the 2011 World Championships was the first time I had ever competed on the international scene as well as competing in a competition of that caliper. It was definitely intimidating knowing that I was competed among World Class athletes, but on that stage, I was a world class athlete as well.

Triple Twist: You are a 3rd reserve for the London Olympics, are you satisfied with that?

Houry: Being an alternate for the 2012 Olympic Games is quite an accomplishment!  It is a little disappointing that I was so close to qualifying, but it is still incredible that I competed at the World Championships and I am honored to have even been given the opportunity. It is hard to think that maybe if I was not injured and was able to compete to my full potential that I could have possibly qualified, but I believe that everything happens for a reason. This just gives me the drive to stay in shape and possibly try again for the 2016 Games.

Triple Twist: Do you think you will continue with gymnastics in the future? What are your plans?

Houry: I am unsure if I will continue doing gymnastic in the future. Having just missed qualifying for the Olympic Games hangs over my head, but who knows where I will be in 4 years. I will be starting a Physician’s Assistant graduate program this June which is a two year program. I will just have to see what kind of shape I am in and where my life is once I complete the program, but for right now I would love to come back to gymnastics in a couple years.

Triple Twist: What is the best advice you have been given?


Houry: The best advice I have ever been given was to never give up on my dreams and that if I love something, make sure I don’t let it slip away even if letting it go is easier than fighting for it.

Triple Twist: Has gymnastics taught you any life lessons?

Houry: Gymnastics has taught me so many life lessons I wouldn’t even know where to start. It has molded me into the person I am and will always be a part of my life. I think the greatest thing I learned from gymnastics is that hard work really pays off. Even if you are the most talented individual, if you don’t have the drive, passion, or work ethic, you’re not going to be satisfied or as successful as you would want to be. I take that and apply it to every aspect of my life; my friendships, my school work, athletics, you name it.


Here is Houry's routines from the 2011 World Championships!





Here is her vault scoring a 9.8 for the Hawkeyes! (And at full strength)



We wish Houry the best for whatever she does in the future!

1 comment: