Friday, April 13, 2012

10 Questions with Washington's Jaclyn McCartin

If your not familiar with the name Jaclyn McCartin you should be. She is the 2009 JO National Champion and on a full scholarship to the University of Washington. In my opinion, she is one of the most over shadowed girls in the USA. Everyone talks about Nastia Liukin's "beautiful lines" well have you seen this girl? In 2010, she placed 6th all around at the Nastia Cup and 2nd on beam. She went on to qualify to elite placing 12th at the Visa Championships. We caught up with Jaclyn to talk about college and her plans for the future.

(Photo Credit: Red Box Photography)


Triple Twist: How do you like the University of Washington? Was it was you expected?

Jaclyn:  I absolutely LOVE UDUB.  I am so close to my team and friends here and the environment is so beautiful.

Triple Twist: What events have you competed this season and how is your ankle doing?

Jaclyn:  I competed beam and bars this season and trained floor. Beam was what I did most for the team and it went very well all season with my top score being a 9.850! Since breaking my ankle at Classics, I have recovered completely and should be competing all four by next season!

Triple Twist: Do you think you will return to elite?

Jaclyn: I have been considering elite still, but it all depends on how my body is by the end of college. Right now I'm focusing on what I can do for my team!

Triple Twist: What has been your favorite memory from gymnastics so far?

Jaclyn:  My favorite memory was definitely the 2010 Visa Championships and the whole experience.

Triple Twist: What are your goals for next season?

Jaclyn:  My goals for next season are to stay healthy, consistent, and compete on all four events. I want to be able to contribute the best I can on all four events for my team.

Triple Twist: How is elite gymnastics different from college? 

Jaclyn: In elite, you are competing for yourself and it is a lot more stressful. College is fun and everything you do, you are doing for your team. It isn't about you anymore. You train a lot less in college to save your body and school is definitely the main focus.

Triple Twist: What is your favorite event?

Jaclyn:  My favorite event seems to switch around a lot. I absolutely LOVE beam but i LOVE performing on floor. I love how intense beam is and I love drawing the crowd into floor.

Triple Twist: What do you like to do in your free time?

Jaclyn:  I absolutely adore hanging out with my friends in my spare time. Music is also a big part of me and I love making and editing silly videos for YouTube! (Visit Jaclyn's YouTube Channel!)

Triple Twist: What are you studying in college and what would you like to do when your done with gymnastics?

Jaclyn: Right now I am trying to figure out what i want to study. I am taking a lot of different classes and am still undecided, but next quarter I am taking more sign language classes which I have done for 9 years, so I definitely have a passion there and we will see where that goes! I still don't know what I want to do after gym, I honestly can't imagine life without it. Right now I plan on focusing on whats ahead of me!

Triple Twist: What is the best advice you have ever been given?

Jaclyn:  Hmm, the best advice I have ever been given: Never let anyone tell you that you can't achieve something. If you believe in yourself, you can prove so many people wrong.

(Photo Credit: Lloyd Smith)


                          

                         


We wish you the best Jaclyn! 
 (Photo Credit: USA Gymnastics)

No comments:

Post a Comment