Monday, April 23, 2012

Gymnastics is more than just a physical sport...

In that moment, before you step up to the beam....what do you do? How do you prepare yourself for what's to come? In that moment, as your flipping across the floor...what are you thinking? How do you get yourself through this set? Gymnastics is not only a physical sport, it takes mental strength too. You have to hit when it matters most and there is always pressure. We talked to some former and current elite gymnasts to find out: How do you prepare yourself for your next event? and What are you thinking during your routine?

Lauren Beers
2 time Visa National Competitor/ Scholarship to the University of Alabama
(Photo Credit: Lauren Beers Offical Website)

"During a competition, I really just try to think about one event at a time. My coach used to tell me, its not about what you've done, it's about what you still need to do. I try not to think about the event I just competed on, and really focus on the upcoming event and what I need to do. I do a lot of mental routines... especially leading up to a competition. I often times go over in my head my routines and "feel" them before I go to sleep the night before. I try to do the same at least once before I compete, which helps me remember corrections and helps me be less nervous. Along with that, right before I go up for my event I say a prayer and ask God to help me make it through and keep me calm. That always helps me. During my routine I'm a little weird because I will literally talk to myself! I do have my key words and little sayings, but along with them I basically have a conversation in my head, during my beam routine especially. I'll say things such as, "ok now slow steps and quick punch, good. Now hold... And breathe." and I pretty much continue that throughout my routine with all my key words mixed in!"

Grace Mcglaughlin
2011 National Team Member/ Scholarship to the University of Florida
(Photo Credit: Grace Chiu)

"I prepare myself for my next event by clearing my mind of all thoughts and emotions. Then I visualize my routines in my head and go for it! What is going through my mind during my routines is just staying calm and focusing on one thing at a time! I actually talk to myself a lot during my routines! I guess I'm kinda of a blabber mouth, but as long as I'm talking to myself I think positively and know what I'm doing!"

Katelyn Ohashi
2011 Junior National Champion
(Photo Credit: Ruth Judson)

"Usually before my next event I go through my routine in my head or do some skills on the floor. During my routine I just think about what I have to do for each skill."

Claire Hammen
2010 Visa National Competitor
(Photo Credit: Heather Maynez)

 "I visualize my routines and while I am doing my routine I focus on the skill I am doing and take it skill by skill. I like to follow my scores throughout the meet, but not my overall ranking."

Christine Lee
2011 Canadian World Team Member/ Scholarship to UCLA

(Photo Credit: OGC Womens Program)

"Between events in a competition I mentally prepare myself for the next event by visualizing my 30 second touch because when we go up for the 30 second touch everything is very rushed! When I prepare myself mentally before, I'm able to stay more calm and in control of my gymnastics. During routines, I do say some key words that helps me with each skill. Especially on floor and beam I have certain parts of my routine that I take deep breaths to calm my nerves down."

Hallie Mosset
Senior National Team Member/ Scholarship to UCLA

(Photo Credit: USA Gymnastics)

"Before I compete, I pray! I also just pretend that it's just like practice.  If I fall on the event before, I try and forget about that and brush it off so I can focus on the next event and not let the last one effect me. When I'm going through my routines I try not to think too much, because I will over think the skills that I'm doing. I just tell myself one skill at a time, stay calm, and it's not over until I salute."     

Check out former national team member and UCLA freshman; Cassie Whitcomb as she mentally walks us through her beam routine.

               


Every gymnast has their own way of mentally preparing for their next event.  For Utah's Kyndal Robarts it's signing!

               


Read our other question posts:

What's the hardest skill in gymnastics?

How do you balance elite gymnastics, school, and have fun?

What's the difference between college and elite gymnastics?

What's in your gym bag?

What goes into making a floor routine?


Have a question that you'd like to see answered in our next segment? Shoot us an email through our contact page!

1 comment:

  1. While all muscle heads work extended periods and generally do similar activities, the example and length of every will wander massively from individual to individual. Comprehend what lifting weights activities will give it quality and makes every one of the muscles in that gathering are worked for an even appropriation of quality. find out more

    ReplyDelete