Thursday, January 2, 2014

Catching up with Gabby Jupp

After having a successful junior career, sixteen year old Gabrielle Jupp was set to have a phenomenal senior debut in 2013. In March she kicked things off at the American Cup where she placed 6th all around and 2nd on beam. Then it was off to Doha for another World Cup, where she took home two bronze medals on the beam and bars. A few months later, Gabby dominated the field at her first senior British Championships by winning the all around, beam, and floor. She also won a silver medal on bars! Gabby was beginning to grow a fairly large fan base around the world and many people considered her to be a threat for the all around title at the European Championships. Unfortunately, Gabby was a little short on her beam dismount during qualifications and tore her ACL. Despite the fall, Gabby still managed to qualify to the beam event finals but would not be able to compete. She had surgery in May of 2013 and has been on the road to recovery ever since. We caught up with Gabby to see how the recovery process is coming along and find out when fans can expect to see her out on the competition floor again.

Photo Credit: Thomas Schreyer

Can you give us an update on your knee? How is the recovery process going?
My knee recovery is going well, thank you. I didn’t want to lose my fitness so immediately after the operation I was back in the gym conditioning and rehabilitating my knee. Four months after the operation I was back on the bars which felt fantastic.
Do you have an idea of when we will see you back out on the competition floor?
I hope to compete bars at the British Championships in March and the goal is to trial for the Commonwealth Games in July, but I will have to see how it goes. How do you stay motivated after your injury?
The injury was a massive disappointment and I did feel very low, but now all I want to do is get back. I’ve had an incredible team supporting me and encouraging my rehab. Sometimes even the tiniest achievement is very rewarding, like the first time I hopped on one leg! Also, I see other gymnasts recovering from ACL injuries like Aliya Mustafina and Julie Crocket so I know it is possible. What has been some of the most memorable moments in your gymnastics career so far?
Winning the British Championships was the best day ever. It was totally unexpected which made it even more special. The American cup was an amazing experience, just being there with gymnasts that I had watched for years was surreal. Winning a couple of medals at the Doha world cup was also a lovely surprise.

Photo Credit: Eileen Langsley
Did you watch the World Championships this year? What were your thoughts on the competition? 
Yes, I did watch the World Championships. I’m always willing the British team on and I was very pleased for Kristian and Max. Simone Biles and Kyla Ross were outstanding as usual and I was really proud of Ruby Harrold and Becky Downie for making the bars final. Great Britain has grown a lot in this sport throughout the years. What are your hopes for the future of GB gymnastics?
London 2012 was good for British Gymnastics. It has put GB gymnastics on the map and hopefully this can be maintained in the future. How do you want to be known in the gymnastics world?  
I hope people in the gymnastics world like me, my style, and speak about me positively. I also hope they see me as someone who works their hardest and who is a good representative for Great Britain.  
Photo Credit: Melissa Perenson
What are some upgrades you realistically see yourself adding in the next three years?
I hope to upgrade all my routines, but definitely want to upgrade my vault to a yurchenko double twist, but at the moment I’m just looking forward to training all four events again. Do you think you would like to compete in college gymnastics someday?
I would definitely consider collegiate gymnastics. I follow it on the internet and it looks like so much fun. The British girls that have gone seem to be having an incredible time. What is your ultimate goal in gymnastics?
Worlds and Olympics would be incredible, but for the moment I just want to get back and compete.

3 comments: