Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Interview with Icelandic National Team Member- Agnes Suto

Icelandic gymnast Agnes Suto is a fan favorite among the gymternet and is a very active member herself through her tumblr blog- Project-Suto. She is coached by Lajos Kiss and her mother Katalin Ugszigeti, who competed at the World Championships for Hungary in 1978 and 1979. This past October, Agnes competed at her second World Championships and is working hard with hopes of returning again next year. We recently caught up with Agnes to talk about her career so far and plans for the future.

Photo Credit: International Gymnast


What is gymnastics like in Iceland compared to some of the other "bigger" countries?
The difference is big. The training hours are less, only few of the coaches have the experience to be able to coach on a higher level, and the system behind the sport is mostly about fun and friends.
Most of the clubs want to give everyone the opportunity to train, so it takes away space for the competitive gymnasts and it’s harder to get the work done. But over all, most of the kids training are happy, nobody stresses about the level, and it’s all about fun and joy.

Who are your inspirations when it comes to gymnastics?
I really look up to my mom and her success as a gymnast. She always keeps me motivated when I’m having hard times, as she has good experience.

What has been your greatest accomplishment so far?
I have had many good results from Icelandic Championships, but yet, I am most proud of placing 4th in all
around and on vault at the Hungarian Championships in 2009. The level of Hungarian gymnastics is higher so coming in 4th means a lot to me.

You are pretty active in the gymternet on tumblr, so as an elite gymnast, what are your thoughts on this fandom?
I think it’s a good thing that fans and gymnasts have a place to share their thoughts and I enjoy it alot. Yet there are people who dislike others with different opinions, but all we can do about it is ignore them and keep the mood positive.

What are your plans/goals for your future in gymnastics?
I would like to focus on one competition at a time and not plan too much ahead. I enjoy gymnastics, and I am lucky that my body can still handle training hard. I have no interest in retiring yet, I will keep
going as long as I can.

You have now competed in two World Championships, what has been the coolest moments from
that?
Back in Tokyo, the whole international experience was really new to me, and it kept me amazed for the whole 2 weeks while I was there. I felt like I was in the perfect gymnastics world! Tokyo will
always be one of my most loved memories since I met the person who changed lots of things in my life and became the most important.


Photo Credit: International Gymnast (Agnes with boyfriend Tomi Tuuha)

Antwerp was even better and it is really hard to get my thoughts together to answer this question as my mind fills up with all kinds of cool thoughts when I look back to that trip. There were so many highlights, like when I was on vault with McKayla Maroney and no one else (it was awkward as I was struggling with a layout and she was throwing Amanars, but the awesome feeling at that moment, pushed back the awkwardness). Also, when we marched into the competition hall at qualifications, I think that was the best feeling. The arena was full with loudly cheering audience and the competition itself was a once in a lifetime experience. And the banquet was just perfect. Every hard working gymnast got the opportunity to relax and have fun. I loved it and I am really motivated to make it to another World Championships.

Photo Credit: Agnes Suto (Agnes with Aliya Mustafina) 

If you could have the career of any gymnast who would it be?
Larissa Iordache. She uses all the opportunities to compete and enjoys all of them. She looks like she loves the sport and she is also super friendly.

What is one thing that not many people know about you?
I try not to make it too obvious but I tend to like Nutella too much. Also I am very good at annoying people, but I tend to spare everyone except my boyfriend.

Have you ever considered doing college gymnastics in the USA?
Yes I have! With my Hungarian friend, Dorina Böczögö, we really wanted to go, but I still need to finish school and our goals changed completely as we have new future plans. But it seems fun! Also I am aware of the fact the NCAA gymnasts train just as hard as elites, which I don’t think I could handle.

Photo Credit: mbl.is/Omar

What is the hardest part about gymnastics?
Keeping the focus and fighting through the hard days. But I always manage well! Also coming back from a longer break is challenging.

If you could do any other sport what would it be?
I want to try beach volleyball and dancing someday, but not on competition level

Follow Agnes on tumblr here.

3 comments:

  1. They're just portable and tend to be ordinarily minor together with ensured just for just about the most significant solutions at a night out. chanel replica sale Clients can see countless clutch system louis vuitton replica sale affordable handbags on sale designed to add more the fact that bit of supplemental that will all dress. Titled following a longer, tiny little bit of This french language breads since the device seems an individual, any baguette variety of louis vuitton replica sale affordable handbags started to gain popularity during the middle 90s. Seeing that how to attract put to use mainly because together a good chanel replica sale container or simply put up across the shoulder joint when using the tie, it can be a rather multipurpose container. And also they are provided in many types based upon your business needs professionals who log in at all times look at some sort of extra-large an individual whenever you get lugging chanel replica sale a lot of things on you.

    ReplyDelete