Friday, January 31, 2014

Quick Chat with Ragan Smith

At just thirteen years old, in her first year as an elite, Ragan caught the eyes of many with her adorable smile and fierce competitive style! (Don't let that small stature fool you!) Ragan began taking gymnastics classes when she was just one year old and was coached by her mother for several years. In 2009, Ragan moved to Northwhind Gymnastics to train with two-time Belarusian World Champion and 1996 Olympian, Elena Piskun. Under Elena, Ragan qualified to junior elite and managed a 7th place finish on floor at the P&G Championships. The following October, she made a big move from her hometown Dacula, Georgia to Coppell, Texas and began training at Texas Dreams under 1991 World All Around Champion and 1992 Olympian, Kim Zmeskal and her husband Chris. Under their guidance, Ragan will hopefully reach her full potential and find herself in Rio in 2016! We chatted with Ragan about her recent gym change, future goals, potential upgrades and more!

Photo Credit: John Cheng


For several years you trained under Olympian Elena Piskun, what was she like as a coach?
Elena was a very good coach and I loved having her as a coach. She encouraged me and would always tell me "you got this" which would make me feel like I could do well!

A few months ago you left Northwhind and are now training under another very famous Olympian, Kim Zmeskal. Why did you leave Northwhind and what led you to choose Texas Dreams?
I left Northwhind so I could train with other elites and be able to train with a team, instead of training by myself. I look up to my teammates at Texas Dreams and enjoy training with them! I chose Texas Dreams because Kim and Chris are good coaches and I was around them at every camp last year and I felt comfortable with them! I liked the way they coached and knew they could help me!

How different is it having several elite teammates versus one or none? 
I really like training with the other elites at Texas Dreams, it really motivates me! I look up to them, they encourage me, and they are very nice!



Did your family move to Texas with you or are you living with a host family?
My whole family moved to Texas in November. I did live with some families for about five or six weeks until my family could move here.

Even though last year was your first year as an elite, you are already a fan favorite! Does that add any pressure for you?
Being one of the favorites makes me feel good about myself. It doesn't really put more pressure on me, it makes me happy and makes me work harder!

What have been some of your favorites moments in your gymnastics career so far?
Getting invited to the National Team camps each month and qualifying to the U.S. Championships last August where I hit eight out of eight routines!

What are the National Team camps like? Do you have any interesting stories? 
The camps are intense, but fun and we learn a lot! I have enjoyed rooming with different girls and getting to know them all! I guess a funny story is how entertaining Laurie Hernandez is! She is so much fun to be around! We have roomed together several times and we play music, dance, and hang out with some of the other girls when we have time between training.

If you could have the career of any gymnast who would it be?
Kim Zmeskal- Burdette! I loved watching videos of her when she was competing and to see how powerful and small she was! Now that she is my coach, it feels great to see her everyday! It's great to be coached by an Olympian!

What has been the hardest skill for you to learn? What about the easiest?
The hardest skill is my double layout off bars. The easiest skill that I have learned is my front tuck on beam.



Are you working any new upgrades that you can share? 
I am working a double layout and a triple twist on floor. On beam I'm working a triple series and on vault a yurchenko double.

What are some of your long term and short term goals? 
My short term goal is to be on the Junior National Team and continue going to national team camps. My long term goal is to make the 2016 Olympic team!

5 comments:

  1. Thats my girl. go Ragan your Aunt and Uncle are always rooting for you in all that you do. Uncle Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Resources replica bags online shopping https://www.dolabuy.ru/ replica bags philippines wholesale discover this info here replica bags aaa quality

    ReplyDelete