Saturday, June 23, 2012

Laurie Hernandez- Interview

There's a new name on the gymnastics scene that you may want to remember: Lauren Hernandez or Laurie for short.  In 2010, Laurie started competing as a level 6, by the end of the year she was already testing for pre elite. In 2012, Laurie placed 3rd all around at the national elite qualifier, she also placed 1st on beam and floor. Her score of 53.450 also qualified her straight to her first national championships! At the U.S. classic, Laurie placed 11th all around and 6th on floor. At the Visa Championships she was in 14th place after the first day of competition. However, day 2 was a little rough for Laurie and she dropped down to 21st. Not bad in your first year as an elite gymnast, not to mention...she's only 12 years old! Laurie is gaining the attention of many people (including national team coordinator, Martha Karolyi) because of her power, flexibility, and style! She also get's great height on her bar releases and dismount for being so tiny! Laurie trains at Monmouth Gymnastics in Morganville, New Jersey where she is coached by Maggie Haney. Laurie was born on June 9, 2000 making her eligible for the 2016 Olympic games! We caught up with Laurie to talk about her first Visa championships, future plans, and more!

(Photo Credit: Heather Maynez)

What was it like competing in your first Visa Championships?

"It was very exciting! I was so happy to be there. I had no idea what to expect since it was my first time being there, but I LOVED being on the podium. It was cool having to go up and down the stairs to compete!"

You're an amazing dancer, have you ever had any formal dance instruction?

"I did ballet when I was 3 years old for about 4 months, but it was so boring. I only went to get the sugar cookies they gave us at the end of the class! So really, no I haven't had any real dance training. My coach has been my choreographer my whole life. She's been my coach since I was five. She is really the only reason I can dance like that! I'm getting a new floor routine next year, so I can't wait for that!"

Who are your idols in gymnastics?

"I don't know, I like them all! Bridget Sloan was really friendly to me at Visa's, so that felt good. I was really happy when I waved to Alicia Sacramone at the meet and she waved back with a big smile!"

What is your favorite event and why? What is your least favorite event?

"So many choices! I think floor is my favorite event because I love tumbling and I love to fly! I don't really have a least favorite event, but I think the vault is the hardest for me!"

What is your favorite thing about gymnastics?

"I love to fly! It feels cool to be in the air, knowing what your doing, and then landing on your feet! You're like...YES!"

You turned 12 the weekend of nationals. Did you celebrate at all?

"We went to the big arch in St. Louis. We also went to lunch and they got me a cake lollipop that was so good!

Have you ever had an embarrassing moment during competition?

"Well the second day of Visa's was a little embarrassing...well very embarrassing. I don't really know what happened. Also when I was a level 4, I jumped to catch the bar on my glide swing and totally missed the bar and fell flat on my face...it was pretty funny actually!"

How did you get started in gymnastics?

"I saw gymnastics on TV and told my mom I wanted to do that. So I went into a class and Maggie's sister was my teacher."

If you weren't a gymnast, what other sport would you consider doing?

"Probably track."

What are your goals for next year?

"I want to compete a LOT of new skills and make the national team."


(Photo Credit: Heather Maynez)

Watch some of Laurie's performances below:

         

         

         

Thanks Laurie and coach Maggie! 

4 comments: