Thursday, July 5, 2012

10 Questions with Olga Korbut

She was the star of the 1972 summer Olympic games in Munich and will be forever known as the mother of gymnastics. Olga Korbut, was just 17 years old and a mere 86 pounds when she dominated the 1972 Olympics winning 3 gold medals and a silver. Olga's performances would forever change the sport of gymnastics, at the time...the moves she did had never been done before! Flipping off the beam or bars with no hands was unheard of! Little girls all around the world wanted to be the next Olga Korbut and enrolled in gymnastics classes. At the 1976 Olympics, she won a silver medal on the balance beam and retired a year later. We caught up with Olga to find out what she's been up to and how she feels about gymnastics today!

(Photo Credit: Unknown)


Growing up, who were your idols? How does it feel to have young girls looking up to you?

"I didn't have an idol, but my first coach was an inspiration! I've always loved my fans. They have been with me for 40 years now. I love to see the gymnastics desire in their eyes!"

Where do you keep all your Olympic medals?

"I keep my medals at home, but I take them with me to all of my appearances." 

You were the first gymnast to compete a back flip on the beam, what made you decide to do a skill that was considered so daring at the time?

"Yes, I was the first to do a back flip on the beam! It took 10 years to develop and was designed to change gymnastics forever!"

How did you feel when the back flip was banned from competition for being to risky?


"Seriously, I didn't care if they tried to ban my elements. I told them "If you do, I will quit" and they let me perform until 1976 because gymnastics needed me."

When you were competing, what were your main goals? Obviously the Olympics weren't as big back in the 70's.


"My goals when I realized I had a future in gymnastic, was to just make the team. That meant I became a Corporal in the Russian army and I could support my family. We were poor. Some nights we didn't have anything to eat. When I was 17, I made more money then my mom and dad together and I gave it all to my family so we could have a better life. We weren't rich, but we could eat everyday and wear clean clothes. Life got better, but there was so much pressure to travel the world and do exhibitions. I didn't have time to practice for the 1976 games. That's my life and I hope my fans understand and accept my efforts. Athletes today don't have to go through what I went through. I had to prepare and practice for 10 hours a day for 10 years! I made money one penny at a time. Gymnastics is the best and hardest sport in the world and my fans have told me that for the last 40 years! Gymnastics has been the most watched sport on TV sine 1972 because millions of people watched, I am honored. I passed the torch to Nadia in 1976, but now it's time for a new Olga to come alive in 2012!

Are you still involved with the sport of gymnastics?

"Yes I am still involved, but I only coach young gymnasts in private lessons right now. There are so many interviews and appearances for my 40th anniversary!"

Can you still do any of your old skills? Have you tried? 

"I walk over 5 miles each day and spend one hour in the gym. I do the splits, handstands, and dance! I'm 57 years old and the ladies in the gym can't believe it. I'm just 5 pounds heavier then I was in 1972!"

Gymnastics has changed a lot since the 70's! What amazes you the most about gymnastics today?


"Gymnastics is like any other sport. The equipment has changed and the athletes are stronger. Many gymnasts are doing great things, but I would like to see more grace in their performances."

With the 2012 Olympics right around the corner, who are you most excited to watch?

"There are several gymnasts that excite me. But I feel someone who is unknown, will perform and become the new Olga! I don't know who, but I can't wait to watch!"

What have you been up to lately?

"I just completed Dancing On Ice in London. It's like Dancing with the Stars in the USA, but it's skating. I never skated in my life, but it was a wonderful opportunity and I would do it again. Other than that, I'm just preparing for the Olympics. I will be one of the 16 Olympic athletes in history to be featured at the Olympic Museum at the Royal Opera House in London, and I will also work with  BBC during the gymnastics competition. I will also get married this year and I'm just enjoying life. After the Olympics and the media rush is over, my fiancee and I would like to buy a house so I can have a garden."

Olga with Dancing On Ice host, Phillip Schofield.
(Photo belongs to Olga Korbut)


Watch Olga at the 1972 Olympics
                              


Follow Olga on Twitter
Add Olga on Facebook

1 comment:

  1. You may even encountered numerous fake breitling types as you step deeper to have one of the best rolex replica sale pieces. Unwanted to point out, it's best to invest an individual's notice regarding essential details to be definitely certain that you choose to find the appropriate rolex replica sale watch. Nyc stands out as the target meant for online business together with business in the nation, and this is among the most perfect regions that will deal worthwhile rolex replica pieces together with antiques. One can find honestly 100s of facilities buying or selling those things regularly, for those times you own hublot replica uk solutions you might want to provide, after this you happen to be basically likely to choose the perfect price tags.

    ReplyDelete