Monday, July 2, 2012

A pot of gold, at the end of the rainbow...

On Sunday July 1st, 2012 the US women's Olympic team was announced. For 5 young women, this will forever remain one of the greatest days of their lives, the day their dreams came true.... the day they became Olympians. 10 others had their dreams shattered; left behind to watch from their television's as their friends and training partners take to the biggest stage in gymnastics. After a lifetime of training, these young women have finally reached the end of the road. For some it may be bitter sweet, others are left wanting more. Although this is the end of yet another Olympic cycle, this is not the end of the journey that each of these young women will take. Many of them will move on from the world of elite gymnastics; go on to college, live the life of a normal teenager.  Few more will continue training in hopes of realizing their dreams in 2016. It's been a long road; a lifetime of training day in and day out in the gym, missing high school dances, and hanging out with friends; but its a road that will lead them on to greater things. Gymnastics has given them drive, discipline, and maturity beyond their years. Not to mention it has taken them to places most kids can only dream about. I hope these kids will be able to look back at the years they spent as an elite gymnast and feel proud. As they reach for greater heights and overcome many obstacles with whatever may come, they'll realize that at the end of every rainbow, there is a pot of gold.

Alicia Sacramone (Brestyans Gymnastics)
(Photo Credit: NBC and USA Gymnastics)

What a career Alicia has had! In the last 10 years, we've been so privileged to watch her progress and perform like the true team captian she is. Back in 2004, a young Sacramone didn't even qualify to the Olympic Trials. But she wasn't ready to give up on her dreams just yet. She bounced back in 2005-2007, winning numerous world and national titles. Then came 2008. Now, if you've watched any gymnastics meet covered by NBC in the last 4 years, you probably know what happened in Bejing. It really wasn't the Olympic experience that Alicia had hoped for and her post games retirment came as no suprise. But shortly after, Alicia announced that she would like to give her elite days one final run. She didn't want to finish her career on a bad note, and I think that ended up being one of the greatest choices she's ever made. In 2010. we saw a new Alicia Sacramone. She looked happy, and everything she did was simply for the joy of doing gymnastics. She went on to become a vault World Champion and the most decerated U.S. gymnast in World Championships history. I'm glad that Alicia was able to finish her career off with a bang, and I know that she has inspired so many young athletes out there to never give up. Alicia Sacramone is a true champion.

Final Words: "Thanks to ALL of my supporters! You have been truly amazing! I leave this sport with no regrets and a kick ass comeback to my name!"


Kennedy Baker (Texas Dreams)
(Photo Credit: Kennedy Baker and USA Gymnastics)

Kennedy Baker has always been the underdog. But the worst thing one can do is assume that "underdog" is the equivalent to "not talented." I really hope that Kennedy dominates the NCAA scene (Florida Gator) because this powerful tumbler deserves her chance to shine. She has improved so much since the days of 2009 (when she wasn't even on the National Team.) Kennedy should be so proud to have made it this far!

Final Words: "I am so blessed to be a part of this whole experience! Thank you everyone for your support! I had so much fun! And congrats to everyone who made the team!"

Sabrina Vega (Dynamic)
(Photo Credit: Sabrina's Official Website and USA Gymnastics)

Sabrina Vega. From World Champion to not even an alternate on the Olympic Team. It amazes me how something like that can happen. But I think one of the biggest lessons this Olympic cycle has taught me, is that no medal can ever guarantee your fate. You have to keep working hard, and not just assume that your previous medals/experience will be enough to pull you through. I wish Sabrina had not given up her NCAA elgiblity because she would have lit up the stage at UCLA (in my personal opinion!) Now all we can do is hope that she will stick around for 2016 because I still think she has something special left in her. Regardless of what she decides to do,  Sabrina will forever remain one of the most beautiful gymnasts in U.S history.

Final Words: "It's been a really exciting journey, and I've had the chance to represent the USA in alot of different countries and even at the World Championships. I have alot of accomplishments to be proud of and I gave it my all, I had alot of fun."



Nastia Liukin (WOGA)
(Photo Credit: NBC and USA Gymnastics)

Nastia Liukin is an inspiration to so many people around the world. I love the perseverance and courage that she showed, even when the world was doubting her. At first, I was heartbroken for Nastia. But then I saw the way she got back up (like she's had to do several times in the past weeks!) and perform like the true champion she is. She showed such class in every interview and performance she did and I was glad to see her say farwell to the sport thats been her life for the past 22 years, in such a beautiful and emotional way. Nastia will be going on the 2012 Tour of Olympic Superstars, before heading off to NYU in January to study sports management. Thank you Nastia, for everything you have done for this sport. We wish you all the best.

Final Words: "Thank you to the 18,000 people that gave me a standing ovation tonight. I will remember this moment for the rest of my life. Most importantly...Thank you to my parents & special people in my life that always kept me calm, believed in me & shown their love & support. I'm overwhelmed by the love and support. I would have never imagined anything like this... Thank you, from the bottom of my heart."

Brenna Dowell (GAGE)
(Photo Credit: USA Gymnastics)

Brenna has been such a plessure to watch these past few years.  She is a beautiful gymnast/person and I know she will do great at the University of Oklahoma! I think making it this far, is something Brenna should be VERY proud of. Good Luck Brenna, we will miss you!

Final Words: "I have had an amazing week! Thanks everyone for all your support! I am blessed to have this awesome opportunity.  I could not have done it without you! I love you all!"

Bridget Sloan (Sharps)
(Photo Credit: Sharps Gymnastics and Heather Maynez)

It's so unfortunate that Bridget had to finish her elite career off like this. But looking back, she has so much to be proud off. Not many athletes can say they're an Olympic silver medalist, National Champion, and World Champion. Seeing how positive Bridget was in her interviews was really inspiring and I love how confident she feels going into her season as a Florida Gator. I really hope that Bridget can stay injury free and enjoy her time in college, because she deserves every moment of it! Thanks for being such a positive role model to thousands of people Bridget! We wish you all the best in college!

 Final Words: "Well, not my ideal way of ending my elite career but I am so blessed and so grateful I was able to make it so far!"

Rebecca Bross (WOGA)
(Photo Credit: NBC and USA Gymnastics)

I still feel so badly for Rebecca because I know she didn't want to go out like this. Never in a million years, did I think that Becca would not be one of the athletes representing the USA in London. She was right on track, winning national titles and proving that she can be one of the top gymnasts in the world. And then, diaster strikes. Just like that, a dream falls apart. I can't help but think...what if? What if she never would have done that vault, last August at Nationals. Would she be going to London? We will never know. All we can do, is look back on all the wonderful things Becca has accomplished and hope that she finds happiness in whatever comes next for her! Best of luck Rebecca! You will certaintly be missed!

Final Words: "Thank you everyone for you support! And I want to say congrats to everyone who made the team,  you guys will do awesome."


We would like to congratulate each and everyone of these athletes on making it this far and for always insipring us to try our very hardest. We hope you find happiness in your future endeavors! 


Written by: Brittany



6 comments:

  1. I love it that you did a tribute to those who did not make it. To those who worked just as hard but did not get to realize the Olympic dream this time. My heart breaks most for Alicia and Rebecca. I just wish everyone could make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Rebecca is the saddest! She was such a sure shot for the team until that injury and the newbies overtook her. That's what I hate about the age requirements; so many girls peak when they're too young, and by the time the Olys come around again they've lost it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. replica bags lv official website l4m85u3s53 replica bags from china go to website b1i07e1g27 fake louis vuitton replica bags by joy c4p38f7f14 replica bags manila replica hermes m5a78w8l53 replica bags online pakistan

    ReplyDelete