Monday, July 30, 2012

My final Olympic hopes

With the qualification round done, we now know who will be competing in the team, all around, and event finals. Below is what I'd like to see happen through the rest of these Olympic games.

Photo Credit: USA Gymnastics


Team Finals

After what happened in qualifications, I don't want anything more than to see the USA and Jordyn Wieber dominate. I'm confident that the USA can win this. If they can do exactly what they did in prelims, they'll be un-beatable. I think our advantage really comes on vault. With 3 solid amanars under our belt, all we need to do it hit the other 3 events and we're golden. I'd really like to see Romania take the silver. Their team has improved so much since the retirement of Ana Porgras. They have worked their butts off and I think it's about time for it to pay off!  If they can stay calm and do what they've been training, I don't doubt their medal possibilities!  For the bronze medal, I honestly don't care if it goes to Russia or China. I love the Chinese, but I just don't know if they have what it takes this time around. The Russians can be VERY good when they're on. But they're known for making uncharacteristic mistakes in competition. The tiny deductions they tend to make could be the difference between a silver and a bronze.  But whoever performs better that day shall get the bronze! Best of luck to everyone!

All Around 

I never would have imagined talking about an all around final without Jordyn Wieber in it. But at this point, it is what it is. With Aly Raisman and Gabby Douglas representing the USA, I just want them to go out and do the best that they can! I think Gabby has a better shot at winning than Aly does, but she could pull out a podium finish if she hits 100%. Bars is going to be the event that either makes or breaks her. To me, Dougie has the star quality. She has the fire in her eyes, the passion, and an amazing story that we all can't help but love. I wish her the best of luck as she goes for the gold. I'll be rooting for her.

Vault Finals

I think it's quite obvious who the favorite is here. This event is Mckayla Maroney's to lose and I can't wait to watch this all un-fold.  As far as silver and bronze goes, I really don't care. But I'd love to see Yamilet Pena land her produnova and win the first ever Olympic medal for the Dominican Republic! That vault has given her so much trouble and I'd LOVE to see her make it when it counts the most. I'd like to see Oksana Chusovitina medal here as well. Again, I don't really care the color, I just want everyone to enjoy the experience and throw the best vaults of their lives!

Photo Credit: Getty Images


Bar Finals

For a long time now, I've always said I wanted Beth Tweddle to win bars in London. It's her best event and when she hits, her routine is phenomenal! How great would it be to see Beth Tweedle FINALLY get her Olympic gold medal in front of a home crowd?! But I think the bar title will be a tough one with so many great bar workers including Gabby Douglas, Viktoria Komova, Alyia Mustafina, and the reigning Olympic champ He Kexin. I would love the podium to be Beth Tweddle, Gabby Douglas, and He Kexin though. This is going to be one heck of a showdown!

Beam Finals

 I would like to see Sui Lu take home the gold. I really like her beam work! I think Catalina Ponor deserves another medal, whatever color it may be. Overall I really like all the beam finalists and would be happy with whatever the outcome is. Beam is a tough event and anything can happen due to the pressure. I think it will come down to whoever is best on this particular day (that's kind of been the story at these games!)

Photo Credit: USA Gymnastics

Floor Finals

This is Jordyn Wieber's only final and I really hope she can medal. As much as I'd love to see her win it, I'm not sure how possible that is. Personally, I think Jordyn should add in the double layout she's been training because she has nothing to loose at this point! She might as well give it her all and go all out. I think she would have to have the best routine of her life and maybe have some mess ups from her competitors. But do I think she can make it on the podium? Yes! I think Aly Raisman will be the one to beat, but Sandra Izbasa is the reigning Olympic champ and will be tough to overcome as well. Looking at the field now, I realize how stacked it is with Olympic and world champs!

1. Aly Raisman - 2011 world bronze medalist on floor
2. Sandra Izbasa- 2008 Olympic Champion on floor
3. Vanessa Ferrari- 2006 all around world champion
4. Ksenia Afanasyeva- 2011 world champion on floor
5. Lauren Mitchell- 2010 world champion on floor
6. Jordyn Wieber- 2011 world all around champion
7. Catalina Ponor- 2004 Olympic champion on floor
8. Alyia Mustafina- 2010 world all around champion


I feel like the Olympics never turn out how I want. First Shawn in 2008 and now Jordyn in 2012. But I would still be satisfied if any of the things mentioned above happen. There's a pretty big difference between what we would all LIKE to happen, and what WILL happen. These are just a few of the things we would like to see happen. No hard feelings, and no rude comments because you feel differently. This is all based on opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Hi :) I'm hoping you can help me. After watching the Olympics, I realized how much I really do love gymnastics. I want to get back into it, but I have no coach, no lessons, and a basement that I am stuck practicing in. The best lessons I can get in my area are at the YWCA. But I cant go there until Christmas. I want to prepare before I go take lessons again, but I dont know what I can do at home. I have tried stretching ang weightlifting and that kind of thing, but none of it is seeming to help. I am really serious about getting back into the sport, but I need to know what I can do at home. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete